Remote access - Routers

This is a discussion on Remote access - Routers ; A customer of ours would like to set up their system so that I can access it remotely from my PC. I am new to this so don't really have much idea about where to start. The setup is as ...

  1. Remote access

    A customer of ours would like to set up their system so that I can access it
    remotely from my PC. I am new to this so don't really have much idea about
    where to start. The setup is as follows, I will include all information that
    I think is relevant:-
    Their server runs Windows Small Business Server 2003 release 2, and has
    3 XP Pro clients that are connected to 'our' network. I need to access the
    server, and in an ideal world, the clients as well. The server has IP
    address 192.168.1.1 and is a DNS server - I think that is the right word -
    our clients get their IP addresses from the server.
    They have a wired ADSL modem router at their end which is connected to
    their other PCs for internet access - their other PCs are not connected to
    the server. If the router is also connected to our server, our server and
    clients can then access the internet.
    Both ends have static IP addresses.
    I would like to be able to control their PCs remotely and also send files
    backwards / forwards. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the
    right direction - basically the questions are 1) Can it be done with the
    existing setup or do I have to purchase additional software / hardware 2)
    What do I need to set up on the router and 3) What (if anything) do I need
    to set up on the server and on my PC.
    I realise that this is a very complex topic, but some pointers would be
    appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Andy Baker

  2. Re: Remote access

    I have been very happy with Logmein Pro and it does not require doing
    anything with your router firewall.

    https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/

    Bruce

    "Andy Baker" wrote in message
    news:idydnbNE7uKnZs3VnZ2dnUVZ8sninZ2d@posted.plusn et...
    >A customer of ours would like to set up their system so that I can access
    >it remotely from my PC. I am new to this so don't really have much idea
    >about where to start. The setup is as follows, I will include all
    >information that I think is relevant:-
    > Their server runs Windows Small Business Server 2003 release 2, and has
    > 3 XP Pro clients that are connected to 'our' network. I need to access the
    > server, and in an ideal world, the clients as well. The server has IP
    > address 192.168.1.1 and is a DNS server - I think that is the right word -
    > our clients get their IP addresses from the server.
    > They have a wired ADSL modem router at their end which is connected to
    > their other PCs for internet access - their other PCs are not connected
    > to the server. If the router is also connected to our server, our server
    > and clients can then access the internet.
    > Both ends have static IP addresses.
    > I would like to be able to control their PCs remotely and also send files
    > backwards / forwards. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the
    > right direction - basically the questions are 1) Can it be done with the
    > existing setup or do I have to purchase additional software / hardware 2)
    > What do I need to set up on the router and 3) What (if anything) do I need
    > to set up on the server and on my PC.
    > I realise that this is a very complex topic, but some pointers would be
    > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Andy Baker

  3. Re: Remote access

    Hi Bruce

    Thanks for the suggestion - I have looked into that but while it would be
    and excellent solution for the situation we have at the moment, should we
    get more customers requiring the same thing, it would prove expensive, I
    think. Unless I can persuade the customer to pay for it, of course.

    Andy

    "Bruce" wrote in message
    newsya4k.42420$MF3.41344@trnddc06...
    >I have been very happy with Logmein Pro and it does not require doing
    >anything with your router firewall.
    >
    > https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > "Andy Baker" wrote in message
    > news:idydnbNE7uKnZs3VnZ2dnUVZ8sninZ2d@posted.plusn et...
    >>A customer of ours would like to set up their system so that I can access
    >>it remotely from my PC. I am new to this so don't really have much idea
    >>about where to start. The setup is as follows, I will include all
    >>information that I think is relevant:-
    >> Their server runs Windows Small Business Server 2003 release 2, and
    >> has 3 XP Pro clients that are connected to 'our' network. I need to
    >> access the server, and in an ideal world, the clients as well. The server
    >> has IP address 192.168.1.1 and is a DNS server - I think that is the
    >> right word - our clients get their IP addresses from the server.
    >> They have a wired ADSL modem router at their end which is connected to
    >> their other PCs for internet access - their other PCs are not connected
    >> to the server. If the router is also connected to our server, our server
    >> and clients can then access the internet.
    >> Both ends have static IP addresses.
    >> I would like to be able to control their PCs remotely and also send files
    >> backwards / forwards. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the
    >> right direction - basically the questions are 1) Can it be done with the
    >> existing setup or do I have to purchase additional software / hardware 2)
    >> What do I need to set up on the router and 3) What (if anything) do I
    >> need to set up on the server and on my PC.
    >> I realise that this is a very complex topic, but some pointers would
    >> be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Andy Baker

  4. Re: Remote access

    They have a free one you could use when you don't need to do file transfer
    or print just remote control.

    https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/g...ree/signup.asp

    Bruce

    "Andy Baker" wrote in message
    > Hi Bruce
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion - I have looked into that but while it would be
    > and excellent solution for the situation we have at the moment, should we
    > get more customers requiring the same thing, it would prove expensive, I
    > think. Unless I can persuade the customer to pay for it, of course.
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > "Bruce" wrote in message
    > newsya4k.42420$MF3.41344@trnddc06...
    >>I have been very happy with Logmein Pro and it does not require doing
    >>anything with your router firewall.
    >>
    >> https://secure.logmein.com/products/pro/
    >>
    >> Bruce
    >>
    >> "Andy Baker" wrote in message
    >> news:idydnbNE7uKnZs3VnZ2dnUVZ8sninZ2d@posted.plusn et...
    >>>A customer of ours would like to set up their system so that I can access
    >>>it remotely from my PC. I am new to this so don't really have much idea
    >>>about where to start. The setup is as follows, I will include all
    >>>information that I think is relevant:-
    >>> Their server runs Windows Small Business Server 2003 release 2, and
    >>> has 3 XP Pro clients that are connected to 'our' network. I need to
    >>> access the server, and in an ideal world, the clients as well. The
    >>> server has IP address 192.168.1.1 and is a DNS server - I think that is
    >>> the right word - our clients get their IP addresses from the server.
    >>> They have a wired ADSL modem router at their end which is connected
    >>> to their other PCs for internet access - their other PCs are not
    >>> connected to the server. If the router is also connected to our server,
    >>> our server and clients can then access the internet.
    >>> Both ends have static IP addresses.
    >>> I would like to be able to control their PCs remotely and also send
    >>> files backwards / forwards. I would be grateful if anyone could point me
    >>> in the right direction - basically the questions are 1) Can it be done
    >>> with the existing setup or do I have to purchase additional software /
    >>> hardware 2) What do I need to set up on the router and 3) What (if
    >>> anything) do I need to set up on the server and on my PC.
    >>> I realise that this is a very complex topic, but some pointers would
    >>> be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Andy Baker

+ Reply to Thread