sharing on specific computers? - Routers

This is a discussion on sharing on specific computers? - Routers ; My wife and I are on a network and we share files and her printer. I am using a netgear router. I have put on another port a AP but I don't want those computers to have access to my ...

  1. sharing on specific computers?

    My wife and I are on a network and we share files and her printer. I am using a netgear router. I have put on another port a AP but I don't want those computers to have access to my shared files. How can I do that?

    charles

  2. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    You may try adding a password to the shared directory ...
    (sorry for not able to answer in the bottom part)
    "Charles Arnett" wrote in message news:484fd64a$0$7730$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    My wife and I are on a network and we share files and her printer. I am using a netgear router. I have put on another port a AP but I don't want those computers to have access to my shared files. How can I do that?

    charles

  3. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    Great idea!!!! How do I add password?
    charles
    "ray" wrote in message news:484fde7d$1@news.stben.net...
    You may try adding a password to the shared directory ...
    (sorry for not able to answer in the bottom part)
    "Charles Arnett" wrote in message news:484fd64a$0$7730$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    My wife and I are on a network and we share files and her printer. I am using a netgear router. I have put on another port a AP but I don't want those computers to have access to my shared files. How can I do that?

    charles

  4. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    I did not find the answer under my WindowsXP.
    This is certainly because i did not set "file and printer sharing". I think that i remember(when i was on another pc) that a rigth-click on the folder must permit to associate a password with a whared folder.

    "Charles Arnett" wrote in message news:4850005e$0$5698$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    Great idea!!!! How do I add password?
    charles
    "ray" wrote in message news:484fde7d$1@news.stben.net...
    You may try adding a password to the shared directory ...
    (sorry for not able to answer in the bottom part)
    "Charles Arnett" wrote in message news:484fd64a$0$7730$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    My wife and I are on a network and we share files and her printer. I am using a netgear router. I have put on another port a AP but I don't want those computers to have access to my shared files. How can I do that?

    charles

  5. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    On 2008-06-11 13:42:15, Charles Arnett wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> You may try adding a password to the shared directory ...

    > Great idea!!!! How do I add password?

    When you share a folder, you have the option to decide with whom to share
    it. On WinXP, that would be in the folder properties, tab Sharing, button
    Permissions. It's sometimes set to "Everyone" which means just what it
    says. Delete that and put yourself and whoever you want there.

    Gerhard

  6. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    I have Windows XP home
    I am having trouble finding the permissions button
    charles
    "Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-11 13:42:15, Charles Arnett wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" wrote in message
    >>> You may try adding a password to the shared directory ...

    >> Great idea!!!! How do I add password?

    > When you share a folder, you have the option to decide with whom to share
    > it. On WinXP, that would be in the folder properties, tab Sharing, button
    > Permissions. It's sometimes set to "Everyone" which means just what it
    > says. Delete that and put yourself and whoever you want there.
    >
    > Gerhard

  7. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    On 2008-06-12 19:57:56, Charles Arnett wrote:

    >>> Great idea!!!! How do I add password?

    >> When you share a folder, you have the option to decide with whom to share
    >> it. On WinXP, that would be in the folder properties, tab Sharing, button
    >> Permissions. It's sometimes set to "Everyone" which means just what it
    >> says. Delete that and put yourself and whoever you want there.

    > I have Windows XP home
    > I am having trouble finding the permissions button

    Ah... Now I remember WinXP Home seems to have a crippled networking
    implementation, where much of the "normal" functionality is removed. I
    don't have it myself, so I can't really help you with this; maybe someone
    who knows it can show you a work-around.

    Another option could be a software firewall on your and your wife's PCs
    that allows you to open the Windows networking ports only for certain IP
    addresses. You then make sure that your PCs have always the same IP address
    (either in the router using an association of IP with MAC, or by
    configuring the PCs with a fixed IP address), and set the firewalls up so
    that the Windows networking traffic is only allowed between your two PCs.

    Gerhard

  8. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:57:56 -0400, "Charles Arnett"
    wrote:

    >I have Windows XP home
    >I am having trouble finding the permissions button
    >charles

    Right click on the actual folder name and then click propeties

    >"Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-11 13:42:15, Charles Arnett wrote:
    >>
    >>> "ray" wrote in message
    >>> Great idea!!!! How do I add password?

    >> When you share a folder, you have the option to decide with whom to share
    >> it. On WinXP, that would be in the folder properties, tab Sharing, button
    >> Permissions. It's sometimes set to "Everyone" which means just what it
    >> says. Delete that and put yourself and whoever you want there.
    >>
    >> Gerhard

  9. Re: sharing on specific computers?

    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:57:56 -0400, "Charles Arnett"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have Windows XP home
    >>I am having trouble finding the permissions button
    >>charles

    > Right click on the actual folder name and then click propeties

    Not sure that this action works at the Charles's pc.
    Did you also "Windows XP home" ? (perhaps you have "Windows XP
    professionnal")

+ Reply to Thread