Using the Linksys WRT54GL as AP - Routers

This is a discussion on Using the Linksys WRT54GL as AP - Routers ; Hi, I have a Westell Modem-Router with Wireless capability (327W) that I use on the first floor to manage my home network. I use both ports(wired) and xmit capabilities on the modem to connect two desktops (wired via cable) and ...

  1. Using the Linksys WRT54GL as AP

    Hi, I have a Westell Modem-Router with Wireless capability (327W) that I use
    on the first floor to manage my home network. I use both ports(wired) and
    xmit capabilities on the modem to connect two desktops (wired via cable) and
    three laptops (wireless via Westell antenna) to my home network. However,
    the xmit power of the Westell is not enough to give my daughter's laptop on
    the second floor far end of the house a good signal. In addition, my sons
    also play XBox 360 also on second floor and need online connectivity. I
    solved the Xbox problem by running a ethernet cable up to the second floor.
    I wanted to use that cable to also give my daughter's laptop internet access
    as well as home network access. So I bought a Linksys WRT54GL router,
    reflashed to DD-WRT mini SP2 firmware and now have both the Xbox and my
    daughter's laptop functioning with the exception that my daughter's laptop
    is not being discovered by my first floor network. I have disabled the
    54GL's SPI firewall thinking that was the problem but still no connection.
    What settings do I need to change on the linksys router to be used as an AP
    (it currently is in AP mode)? The Linksys currently is being seen by my
    daughter's laptop as having a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 but that is
    also what my westell is set at. Is that a conflict? Also, should I have the
    Linksys set to DHCP forwarding instead of DHCP server? Any help is
    appreciated.

    Ron

  2. Re: Using the Linksys WRT54GL as AP

    "Don" wrote in message
    news:27SdnfwJD4oRatPVnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Make sure you don't have AP isolation turned on in DD-WRT
    >
    > "Ron Krebs" wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a Westell Modem-Router with Wireless capability (327W) that I
    >> use on the first floor to manage my home network. I use both
    >> ports(wired) and xmit capabilities on the modem to connect two desktops
    >> (wired via cable) and three laptops (wireless via Westell antenna) to my
    >> home network. However, the xmit power of the Westell is not enough to
    >> give my daughter's laptop on the second floor far end of the house a good
    >> signal. In addition, my sons also play XBox 360 also on second floor and
    >> need online connectivity. I solved the Xbox problem by running a
    >> ethernet cable up to the second floor. I wanted to use that cable to also
    >> give my daughter's laptop internet access as well as home network access.
    >> So I bought a Linksys WRT54GL router, reflashed to DD-WRT mini SP2
    >> firmware and now have both the Xbox and my daughter's laptop functioning
    >> with the exception that my daughter's laptop is not being discovered by
    >> my first floor network. I have disabled the 54GL's SPI firewall thinking
    >> that was the problem but still no connection. What settings do I need to
    >> change on the linksys router to be used as an AP (it currently is in AP
    >> mode)? The Linksys currently is being seen by my daughter's laptop as
    >> having a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 but that is also what my westell
    >> is set at. Is that a conflict? Also, should I have the Linksys set to
    >> DHCP forwarding instead of DHCP server? Any help is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Ron

    AP Isolation is disabled by default. I hadn't changed it. Any other
    suggestions? TIA,

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread