How 2 connect 2 computers via Internet instead of LAN? - Routers

This is a discussion on How 2 connect 2 computers via Internet instead of LAN? - Routers ; Hi there, I am using a Dlink 504T DSL router and I am experiencing the following problem: I have a static IP address and I have 2 computers connected to my network. I would like to access computer A through ...

  1. How 2 connect 2 computers via Internet instead of LAN?

    Hi there,

    I am using a Dlink 504T DSL router and I am experiencing the following
    problem: I have a static IP address and I have 2 computers connected
    to my network. I would like to access computer A through computer B
    VIA THE INTERNET (through my static IP address) as opposed to going
    through the LAN as is simple to do. (too complicated to explain why I
    need to do this but it has something to do with email). When I try to
    connect to my IP address and I am not connecting from home things are
    fine. I can access my other computer fine. But when I do the same from
    home I get an error. somehow the router knows that the IP address I am
    requesting to connect to is the same one as the one I am requesting
    from (as I am home now and on the same LAN). Is there any way to tell
    the router to go over the Internet to access my other computer rather
    than connecting though my network? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

  2. Re: How 2 connect 2 computers via Internet instead of LAN?

    Unless your router has a "loopback" feature, the NAT is preventing you from
    hitting your own external IP address. Loopback basically puts an alias of
    the external address on the internal interface of the firewall. In reality,
    you'd still be going across the LAN.

    "karotto" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am using a Dlink 504T DSL router and I am experiencing the following
    > problem: I have a static IP address and I have 2 computers connected
    > to my network. I would like to access computer A through computer B
    > VIA THE INTERNET (through my static IP address) as opposed to going
    > through the LAN as is simple to do. (too complicated to explain why I
    > need to do this but it has something to do with email). When I try to
    > connect to my IP address and I am not connecting from home things are
    > fine. I can access my other computer fine. But when I do the same from
    > home I get an error. somehow the router knows that the IP address I am
    > requesting to connect to is the same one as the one I am requesting
    > from (as I am home now and on the same LAN). Is there any way to tell
    > the router to go over the Internet to access my other computer rather
    > than connecting though my network? Any help is MUCH appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread