Wireless Router Signal Strength - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless Router Signal Strength - Routers ; Bought the Linksys WRT110, Went from my office in my house to my kitchen, have low signal. Should I have bought something different? The so called tech at Best Buy said to get this one as it would do the ...

  1. Wireless Router Signal Strength

    Bought the Linksys WRT110, Went from my office in my house to my kitchen,
    have low signal. Should I have bought something different? The so called
    tech at Best Buy said to get this one as it would do the whole house instead
    of the next one down. I don't t think I am more than 40ft away. If I could
    easlily get a wire over I would. Any ideas? Thanks.

  2. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    wrote in message
    newsob3k.6495$2g.6254@fe087.usenetserver.com...
    > Bought the Linksys WRT110, Went from my office in my house to my kitchen,
    > have low signal. Should I have bought something different? The so called
    > tech at Best Buy said to get this one as it would do the whole house
    > instead
    > of the next one down. I don't t think I am more than 40ft away. If I could
    > easlily get a wire over I would. Any ideas? Thanks.

    You didn't mention whether or not it works... (even with a low signal). I
    find the widgets that show signal strength sometimes are a little 'suspect'
    and most often if I can get a signal then the connection is fine.

    If it doesn't *work* (or even if it does) you might consider changing the
    router to use a different channel than the default or whatever one you have
    selected... I tried all the channels one per day and finally settled on 10
    (I think) on my router. That worked a lot better in my environment than the
    default channel. YMMV.

    I also bought an external antenna with about a 1 metre cable (wish it was a
    little longer) and now I can fiddle with the orientation of it too -
    although that requires a lot more patience since there are a lot more
    positions than I care to try.

    HTH

  3. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    Thanks, will go and get my manual and look up settings. I did look at the
    router for the antenna connection adn did not see anything, but will also
    check the manual. So thanks.

  4. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    wrote in message
    > Thanks, will go and get my manual and look up settings. I did look at the
    > router for the antenna connection adn did not see anything, but will also
    > check the manual. So thanks.

    Some routers have antennas that cannot be replaced with an external hookup,
    and some, like my old Microsoft MN-700 has both an internal and an external
    (non-detachable) antenna.... If you are lucky you may find an external
    antenna that can replace the little rubber stick.

    good luck

  5. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    If the other suggestions don't work, you can always buy a router that
    can be hacked to boost signal strength and a slew of other features.
    http://tinyurl.com/oug4p
    --
    The corporation is a true Frankenstein's monster, an artificial person
    run amok, responsible only to its own soulless self.

  6. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    Guess antenna is out on this model. At this point the other computer has
    very low reception and can only get internet once in a great while. Looks
    like I need to install a cable and just get it over with. Guess it's just
    not powerful emough. Shall call my electrician and get it over with. Thanks
    eveyone for all your help.

  7. Re: Wireless Router Signal Strength

    I sent back by wireless router and bought a linksys AP and plugged it into
    my wired only router and it works a whole lot better
    charles
    wrote in message
    newsob3k.6495$2g.6254@fe087.usenetserver.com...
    > Bought the Linksys WRT110, Went from my office in my house to my kitchen,
    > have low signal. Should I have bought something different? The so called
    > tech at Best Buy said to get this one as it would do the whole house
    > instead
    > of the next one down. I don't t think I am more than 40ft away. If I could
    > easlily get a wire over I would. Any ideas? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread