switch - Routers

This is a discussion on switch - Routers ; Hello, I currently have a wired lan using a cable modem and nat router (US Robotics 8003) to connect two desktops. I want to add wireless access for laptop upstairs. Question; do I need to add a "switch" between the ...

  1. switch

    Hello, I currently have a wired lan using a cable modem and nat router (US
    Robotics 8003) to connect two desktops. I want to add wireless access for
    laptop upstairs. Question; do I need to add a "switch" between the router
    and the wireless ap or can I just plug the ap directly into the router. I
    realize I also need wireless adapter for laptop upstairs. Thanks.

  2. Re: switch

    Thanks, yes it is "just" a WAP that I am adding and I will connect it to a
    LAN port on my router. Thought that would just be the simplest way to get a
    signal upstairs.

  3. Re: switch

    "jsimmons88" wrote in message
    > Thanks, yes it is "just" a WAP that I am adding and I will connect it to a
    > LAN port on my router. Thought that would just be the simplest way to get
    > a signal upstairs.

    In fact that is what I first did when I got a wireless router - rather than
    bite the bullet so to speak and replace the working router with the new one,
    I ran the wireless one as an AP for quite a while. Only when I got irritated
    by the number of devices and wires and power bricks did I bother to
    "simplify" the setup to fewer devices...

    Perhaps there may be some advantage to having the wired devices using their
    own router and the wireless segregated off to the side (with a switch
    allowing the two routers to run in parallel) but I dont think it is worth
    the extra stuff around to collect dust etc.

    cheers

+ Reply to Thread