CISCO ROUTER AND DNS - Routers

This is a discussion on CISCO ROUTER AND DNS - Routers ; I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014 cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP. My question is: In Windows ...

  1. CISCO ROUTER AND DNS

    I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
    cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
    primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.

    My question is:

    In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
    automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
    should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
    IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??

    TIA.
    Tony

  2. Re: CISCO ROUTER AND DNS

    Hi,

    WRT54G is Linksys, not Cisco...

    Now to your question:
    You can use both settings. If you select Obtain automatically - your PC
    will use DNS servers configured in router.
    If you select manual settings you should write down same DNS servers IP
    addresses that your ISP gave you. Or you can use old-favorite 4.2.2.2 /
    4.2.2.3 / 4.2.2.4.

    Tony Martin wrote:
    > I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
    > cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
    > primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
    > automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
    > should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
    > IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??
    >
    > TIA.
    > Tony

  3. Re: CISCO ROUTER AND DNS

    On 2008-06-06 07:20:57, Justin P wrote:

    > Tony Martin wrote:
    >> I have a Cisco WRT54G router configured for a static IP from a SMC8014
    >> cable modem. In the router's static IP setup, you must enter the
    >> primary and secondary DNS server IPs of the ISP.
    >>
    >> My question is:
    >>
    >> In Windows TCP/IP properties, should I bullet "Obtain DNS servers
    >> automatically" OR bullet "Use the following DNS servers" and if so,
    >> should I use the gateway IP of the router OR repeat the same two DNS
    >> IP's used in the Static IP setup section of the router??

    > WRT54G is Linksys, not Cisco...

    Just for the record... http://www.linksys.com/ top left corner says
    "Linksys, a division of Cisco"... So while it is Linksys brand (and it
    helps saying so), it's still kind of "by Cisco".

    > Now to your question:
    > You can use both settings. If you select Obtain automatically - your PC
    > will use DNS servers configured in router.
    > If you select manual settings you should write down same DNS servers IP
    > addresses that your ISP gave you. Or you can use old-favorite 4.2.2.2 /
    > 4.2.2.3 / 4.2.2.4.

    In general, I find it more convenient to configure the PCs to get their DNS
    servers from the router. In case anything changes, I have to change that
    only in the router.

    Gerhard

+ Reply to Thread