Modem to Ethernet router ("dial router" backwards) - Routers

This is a discussion on Modem to Ethernet router ("dial router" backwards) - Routers ; I'm looking for a router that has a phone-line connection (or at least a serial port) and an Ethernet port that allows you to "dial in" to your home Ethernet network -- similar to the old "dial routers" (that would ...

  1. Modem to Ethernet router ("dial router" backwards)

    I'm looking for a router that has a phone-line connection (or at least a
    serial port) and an Ethernet port that allows you to "dial in" to your home
    Ethernet network -- similar to the old "dial routers" (that would let you use
    a dial-up ISP as a backup in case your DSL/cable modem died) in reverse. I've
    found a couple meant for industrial automation (Rockwell Automation has one --
    http://www.rockwellautomation.com/se...dems/ethernet/ - as does
    SixNet --
    http://www.sixnetstore.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=Modems) ,
    but they're all upwards of $1,000 and I was hoping to find something cheaper.
    Anyone know of something like this?

    Thanks,
    ---Joel Koltner

  2. Re: Modem to Ethernet router ("dial router" backwards)

    Joel Koltner wrote:
    > I'm looking for a router that has a phone-line connection (or at least a
    > serial port) and an Ethernet port that allows you to "dial in" to your home
    > Ethernet network -- similar to the old "dial routers" (that would let you use
    > a dial-up ISP as a backup in case your DSL/cable modem died) in reverse. I've
    > found a couple meant for industrial automation (Rockwell Automation has one --
    > http://www.rockwellautomation.com/se...dems/ethernet/ - as does
    > SixNet --
    > http://www.sixnetstore.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=Modems) ,
    > but they're all upwards of $1,000 and I was hoping to find something cheaper.
    > Anyone know of something like this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ---Joel Koltner

    Joel:

    The SMC Barricade 7004ABR will do what you want

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...%5FUSA&pid=858

    There are links to sellers on the right of this page under "Sales
    Information"

    HTH & GL

    John

    PS You could also load "Freesco" onto an old 486 PC, w/modem NICs, and
    use THAT as your router.

    www.freesco.org/

    --
    \\\||///