  2. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    From: "Mark"

    | I have two computers connected to Internet via router. I use computer 1 and
    | somebody else use computer 2. How can I prevent computer 2 user from
    | accessing Internet when I am not at home?

    It would be based upon the Router used.
    On my Linksys BEFSR81, under the advanced tab, there is the "Filtered Private IP Range".
    Put the IP of computer two in and it will block Internet access. However it is a manual
    process of putting the IP and taking the IP out to block and unblock that PC from the
    Internet. You would also have to make sure that you password protect the Router so that the
    user on computer 2 can't modify the settings.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    How can I find out what the other computer IP is?

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    > From: "Mark"
    >
    > | I have two computers connected to Internet via router. I use computer 1
    > and
    > | somebody else use computer 2. How can I prevent computer 2 user from
    > | accessing Internet when I am not at home?
    >
    > It would be based upon the Router used.
    > On my Linksys BEFSR81, under the advanced tab, there is the "Filtered
    > Private IP Range".
    > Put the IP of computer two in and it will block Internet access. However
    > it is a manual
    > process of putting the IP and taking the IP out to block and unblock that
    > PC from the
    > Internet. You would also have to make sure that you password protect the
    > Router so that the
    > user on computer 2 can't modify the settings.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

  4. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    Mark wrote:
    > I have two computers connected to Internet via router. I use computer 1 and
    > somebody else use computer 2. How can I prevent computer 2 user from
    > accessing Internet when I am not at home?

    There are many answers to your question, most of which depend on the
    capabilities of the router. Some depend on the nature of the
    relationship with the other party.

    If the other person is willing to comply based on your ability to
    determine that they have violated your Internet access policy, then
    "logging" may be sufficient. If you determined that the user accessed
    the Internet when they were not authorized to do so, and you brought it
    to their attention, would they correct their behavior, or would they
    persist in violating the policy?

    Logging features vary considerably from one device to another. Some are
    highly configurable and would provide a record of the user's activities,
    whereas others will only log attempts to access the network from the
    internet.

    Some routers provide the ability to enforce time-of-day access policies
    for all users, or individual users.

    You could configure the DHCP server (within most residential routers) to
    lease specific IP addresses on a MAC address (unique to the computer)
    basis, so that the other user would have a consistent IP address, then
    enforce access policy (firewall rules etc.) based on IP addresses. Your
    device may or may not have the necessary functionality to enforce such
    policy.

    If you were using an "authenticated" ISP connection (e.g.: some DSL
    providers use PPPoE), you could use a non-persistent Internet connection
    that required you to login to the router and bring up the Internet
    connection. The other user would not be given credentials to login to
    the router, and would therefore not be able to access the Internet
    without your intervention (initiating a connection to the Internet from
    the router).

    Using a Cisco device in a residential setting, I would configure DHCP so
    that they always had the same IP address, define access rules permitting
    the specific applications they were able to use, apply time-ranges to
    the rules, and use logging to facilitate ongoing monitoring.

    You need to read your router manual in order to determine what features
    are available to you.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

  5. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    From: "Mark"

    | How can I find out what the other computer IP is?

    In a Command Prompt on computer 2 type...

    IPCONFIG

    --
    Dave

  6. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    > From: "Mark"
    >
    > | How can I find out what the other computer IP is?
    > |

    > In a Command Prompt on computer 2 type...
    >
    > IPCONFIG

    If the router serves as a DHCP server, we are not sure that the IP adress of
    the second computer will be the same. If per example:
    - the first online pc (master one) got 192.168.1.64
    - the second one got 192.168.1.65
    If you block 192.168.1.65 - that ok.
    But if
    - i power off all stuff
    - i don't power on the (master one)
    - i do power on the blocked pc
    This blocked pc receives the first available ip
    192.168.1.64 - which is not blocked.

  7. Re: two computers connected to Internet

    ray wrote:
    > "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
    >> From: "Mark"
    >>
    >> | How can I find out what the other computer IP is?
    >> |

    >> In a Command Prompt on computer 2 type...
    >>
    >> IPCONFIG
    >>

    > If the router serves as a DHCP server, we are not sure that the IP adress of
    > the second computer will be the same. If per example:
    > - the first online pc (master one) got 192.168.1.64
    > - the second one got 192.168.1.65
    > If you block 192.168.1.65 - that ok.
    > But if
    > - i power off all stuff
    > - i don't power on the (master one)
    > - i do power on the blocked pc
    > This blocked pc receives the first available ip
    > 192.168.1.64 - which is not blocked.

    Most routers with internal DHCP servers permit you to define a "static
    mapping" between a host's MAC address and the IP address you wish to
    assign to that host. A host is still acquiring its IP address
    "dynamically", but it is consistently leased the same IP address when
    this functionality is available.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

+ Reply to Thread