    without making it vulnerable? I am using a cable modem with a dynamic IP; I
    know I am going to have to deal with that too.

  2. Re: WRT54G + NAS drive - acccess from internet?

    On 2008-05-21 09:29:06, Steve wrote:

    > I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a NAS drive on my home network. I would
    > like to access the contents of this drive securely from remote locations,
    > and would rather not have to deal with third party subscription schemes. Is
    > there a safe, password protected way for me to get at my files on this drive
    > without making it vulnerable? I am using a cable modem with a dynamic IP; I
    > know I am going to have to deal with that too.

    You need a server of some kind. VPN and FTP or SFTP, among others.

    You may be able to run something like this
    on your router, which would
    allow you to run this on the router itself. Other than that, you could set
    up a computer to run a server and open the required ports.

    Gerhard

  3. Re: WRT54G + NAS drive - acccess from internet?

    Looking further at this, I wonder if using an app the offering at
    www.no-ip.com would be easier (and free). The issue I see is that I have a
    dynamic IP, and the PC with the drive I would want to access is given a
    local IP address by the router (192.168.1.xxx). Is it still possible to go
    that route? thanks!

    "Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-21 09:29:06, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a NAS drive on my home network. I
    >> would
    >> like to access the contents of this drive securely from remote locations,
    >> and would rather not have to deal with third party subscription schemes.
    >> Is
    >> there a safe, password protected way for me to get at my files on this
    >> drive
    >> without making it vulnerable? I am using a cable modem with a dynamic
    >> IP; I
    >> know I am going to have to deal with that too.

    > You need a server of some kind. VPN and FTP or SFTP, among others.
    >
    > You may be able to run something like this
    > on your router, which would
    > allow you to run this on the router itself. Other than that, you could set
    > up a computer to run a server and open the required ports.
    >
    > Gerhard

  4. Re: WRT54G + NAS drive - acccess from internet?

    On 2008-05-22 16:23:38, Steve wrote:

    > "Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-21 09:29:06, Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a NAS drive on my home network. I
    >>> would like to access the contents of this drive securely from remote
    >>> locations, and would rather not have to deal with third party
    >>> subscription schemes. Is there a safe, password protected way for me
    >>> to get at my files on this drive without making it vulnerable? I am
    >>> using a cable modem with a dynamic IP; I know I am going to have to
    >>> deal with that too.

    >> You need a server of some kind. VPN and FTP or SFTP, among others.
    >>
    >> You may be able to run something like this
    >> on your router, which would
    >> allow you to run this on the router itself. Other than that, you could
    >> set up a computer to run a server and open the required ports.

    > Looking further at this, I wonder if using an app the offering at
    > www.no-ip.com would be easier (and free).

    This is a service that allows you to have a domain name on a dynamic IP. I
    use dyndns.org. Something like this is necessary to find your router from
    the outside. It requires an application running inside your network (either
    in the router or in one of the computers on the LAN) that updates the IP
    information when your public IP changes. (IIRC, your router has a client
    for dynamic DNS built in.)

    > The issue I see is that I have a dynamic IP, and the PC with the drive I
    > would want to access is given a local IP address by the router
    > (192.168.1.xxx). Is it still possible to go that route?

    You need both: some dynamic DNS service to find your router from the
    outside, and a server running inside to communicate to.

    Gerhard

+ Reply to Thread