Linksys WRT54G password security - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT54G password security - Routers ; Hi all, I don't know much about wireless security. I have a friend who uses a Linksys WRT54G router connected to his cable modem so that an OS X machine in a different room connect to the web using airport. ...

  1. Linksys WRT54G password security

    Hi all,

    I don't know much about wireless security. I have a friend who uses a
    Linksys WRT54G router connected to his cable modem so that an OS X
    machine in a different room connect to the web using airport. I have
    noticed that the airport in OS X can see several connections (presumably
    from neighbors), including the Linksys one. But while all other
    connections are password protected, the connection to the Linksys is
    not, and this troubles me.

    On the comuter that is physically connected to the router, I have httpd
    to 192.168.1.1 and I've noticed that there is a place to set the
    password, however changing the password would not deny connections to
    the OS X machine. The machine sees the Linksys router and doesn't even
    ask for password. it gets connected right away. So I am guessing that
    the password is an administrative password, and not for connections.

    Does the WRT54G model have a capability to be password protected? The
    firmware has never been updated, how essential is that for password
    capability or for security in general (How does one update the firmware
    anyway?) Since this a relatively old router, should a more up-to-date
    one be purchased? If not, what is the best way to secure a connection
    with this router?

    Thanks very much,
    RS

  2. Re: Linksys WRT54G password security

    RS wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I don't know much about wireless security. I have a friend who uses a
    > Linksys WRT54G router connected to his cable modem so that an OS X
    > machine in a different room connect to the web using airport. I have
    > noticed that the airport in OS X can see several connections
    > (presumably from neighbors), including the Linksys one. But while all
    > other connections are password protected, the connection to the
    > Linksys is not, and this troubles me.
    >
    > On the comuter that is physically connected to the router, I have
    > httpd to 192.168.1.1 and I've noticed that there is a place to set the
    > password, however changing the password would not deny connections to
    > the OS X machine. The machine sees the Linksys router and doesn't even
    > ask for password. it gets connected right away. So I am guessing that
    > the password is an administrative password, and not for connections.
    >
    > Does the WRT54G model have a capability to be password protected? The
    > firmware has never been updated, how essential is that for password
    > capability or for security in general (How does one update the
    > firmware anyway?) Since this a relatively old router, should a more
    > up-to-date one be purchased? If not, what is the best way to secure a
    > connection with this router?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    > RS

    I'm not familiar with that router but you need to go into the wireless
    section. In there, there is the option to input the SSID (network name -
    call it something unique so that if there is more than one Linksys in your
    area, you can be sure you are connecting to your own and not a neighbour's),
    choose WPA-PSK encryption (or even WPA2 if you can) and when it asks for a
    network key or passphrase or password, go to
    https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and get a 63-character password.

    Any computer that you want to connect wirelessly to your Linksys will have
    to have all this information in the utility software used by your wireless
    adapter - whatever you put in the router must be matched at the client end.

    John

  3. Re: Linksys WRT54G password security

    The WRT54G with stock firmware is capable of WPA at least. I'm sure OS X is
    as well.

    "John" wrote in message
    > RS wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I don't know much about wireless security. I have a friend who uses a
    >> Linksys WRT54G router connected to his cable modem so that an OS X
    >> machine in a different room connect to the web using airport. I have
    >> noticed that the airport in OS X can see several connections
    >> (presumably from neighbors), including the Linksys one. But while all
    >> other connections are password protected, the connection to the
    >> Linksys is not, and this troubles me.
    >>
    >> On the comuter that is physically connected to the router, I have
    >> httpd to 192.168.1.1 and I've noticed that there is a place to set the
    >> password, however changing the password would not deny connections to
    >> the OS X machine. The machine sees the Linksys router and doesn't even
    >> ask for password. it gets connected right away. So I am guessing that
    >> the password is an administrative password, and not for connections.
    >>
    >> Does the WRT54G model have a capability to be password protected? The
    >> firmware has never been updated, how essential is that for password
    >> capability or for security in general (How does one update the
    >> firmware anyway?) Since this a relatively old router, should a more
    >> up-to-date one be purchased? If not, what is the best way to secure a
    >> connection with this router?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much,
    >> RS

    > I'm not familiar with that router but you need to go into the wireless
    > section. In there, there is the option to input the SSID (network name -
    > call it something unique so that if there is more than one Linksys in your
    > area, you can be sure you are connecting to your own and not a
    > neighbour's), choose WPA-PSK encryption (or even WPA2 if you can) and when
    > it asks for a network key or passphrase or password, go to
    > https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and get a 63-character password.
    >
    > Any computer that you want to connect wirelessly to your Linksys will have
    > to have all this information in the utility software used by your wireless
    > adapter - whatever you put in the router must be matched at the client
    > end.
    >
    > John

+ Reply to Thread