Setting Up A Home Network - Routers

This is a discussion on Setting Up A Home Network - Routers ; Please excuse the frustration. Trying to do this is like pulling teeth. Here is the situation: I have four computers. Two of the computers are using XP (One Pro - Service Pack 1 and One Home - Service pack 2 ...

  1. Setting Up A Home Network

    Please excuse the frustration. Trying to do this is like pulling teeth.

    Here is the situation:

    I have four computers.

    Two of the computers are using XP (One Pro - Service Pack 1 and One Home -
    Service pack 2 - Toshiba Lap Top). The Toshiba has a single NTFS hard
    drive, while the Desk Top has a single hard drive which has 4 logical
    drives. Each of these machines has a DVD Burner and a CD Burner in the
    machine.

    Two of the computers are using Win98SE. One computer had a single C drive
    partition and the second has two hard drives one of which has three logical
    drive. File format is FAT32. Each Machine has a CD Reader. One machine
    also has a CD burner

    All of the computers have NIC cards and are hardwired via Cat 5 to a LinkSys
    Wireless G Broadband Router (Model WRT54G)

    I do loose the "Hounds Of Hell" and carry the lap top around the house;
    however, the majority of the time it is hooked to the Router via Cat 5
    cable.

    I have a HP932C printer connected to the Desk Top (XP Pro - Service Pack 1)
    via USB.

    I have an External Hard Drive connected to the Desk Top (XP Pro Service Pack
    1) via USB. File Format is FAT32

    I have a ZIP drive connected to a Desk Top (Win 98SE) via Parallel cable.

    This is my madness. I would like to know if I can set it up to read
    everything from the two XP machines, each Win98SE from each other, the
    external hard drive and the ZIP drive. I would like to see the complete
    drives or am I going to have to build a folder on each machine.

    I do not want to buy any third party software, just use the operating
    systems to connect them all through the router. Really do not want a
    machine to act as a server if at all possible.

    Question 1. Can I do this - without banging my head against a wall.

    Question 2. If I cannot see everything, what am I going to be able to see?

    Question 3. Do I have to set any particular machine up in any particular
    order.

    Question 4. Any special set up with respect to the XP and Win98SE machines
    (where the XP can see all drives internal/external and the Win98SE can see
    everything but the NTS drives.

    Kind of need step by step assistance.

    Yeah, I know. When I read this myself I wonder why would the idiot want to
    do all of this. I would just like to take everything to the edge.

    ..

  2. Re: Setting Up A Home Network

    I am no expert by any means, but there doesn't sound like any reason why
    this is not possible.

    First, in both Win98 and XP you need to establish the name of your
    workgroup, In XP go to the system control panel, computer name tab, select
    "change computer name". It's in there. Give your computer a name too. In
    Win98 I expect there is something similar in the "system" control panel.

    Then it's really all about turning on file sharing, and possibly turning off
    the firewall on your XP machines (anyone here who can accomplish this
    without turning off the firewalls please chime in). You need to decide what
    you want to make available on each computer. The whole thing? Just the
    desktop or my documents folder? Something else? For instance, on the XP
    machine, to share the my documents folder, go to ?"my computer", right click
    on the my documents folder, then choose properties, then the sharing tab,
    then check the "share this folder" and "allow network users to change"
    boxes. It will ask you if you really want to (or something) - just select
    "just start file sharing". On the Win98 machines, (it's been a while so I
    can't be certain) you may need to turn on file sharing at a control panel
    (somewhere), then go through a similar process as above to select what
    folders you want to share.

    Then, after some possible rebooting, in the Win98 machines you will see the
    shared items in "network neighborhood", and in the XP machines, go to "my
    network places", then click on the "show workgroup computers" link on the
    left. You can make shortcuts of the various items from there to facilitate
    returning to them later.

    You can share your printer so all PCs can use it through the PC it's plugged
    into. Go to the printer control panel, find the printer and tell it to
    share. Then the printer will be one of the shared items of that PC.

    Do the above at your own risk. It's what I did (at my own risk). Just
    because I said it'll work doesn't mean it will. I may not be 100% right or
    may have left something out. Have fun.

    Good luck,
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread