Recommendation for wireless router with good parental controls? - Routers

This is a discussion on Recommendation for wireless router with good parental controls? - Routers ; As the subject states... I have been asked to recommend a home wireless router by my son-in-law who has three boys. The most important issue is to be able to define parental controls such as time of use, ability to ...

  1. Recommendation for wireless router with good parental controls?

    As the subject states... I have been asked to recommend a home
    wireless router by my son-in-law who has three boys. The most
    important issue is to be able to define parental controls such as time
    of use, ability to block domains and IP's, etc.

    As I work with enterprise level equipment I am at a loss for this
    recommendation. SO, any one who might be familiar, please recommend
    away?

    Thanks - Bob

  2. Re: Recommendation for wireless router with good parental controls?

    Well, all of the Dlink routers that I have used have a feature whereby you
    can block all traffic TCP/IP and UDP on a range of ports (1-64000) for
    certain time ranges on selected days. They also allow you to block domains
    or block URLs that contain certain strings (eg "xxx" although that has
    drawbacks that are obvious)

    A well stocked HOSTS file (for windows for example) can eliminate a lot of
    known porn sites and malware sites and stupid popup blasters (see MVPHOSTS)

    I think other home routers offer similar features... some are more
    straightforward than others - there is usually lots of online/forum help
    available for all of them.

    HTH

    "bobmct" wrote in message
    > As the subject states... I have been asked to recommend a home
    > wireless router by my son-in-law who has three boys. The most
    > important issue is to be able to define parental controls such as time
    > of use, ability to block domains and IP's, etc.
    >
    > As I work with enterprise level equipment I am at a loss for this
    > recommendation. SO, any one who might be familiar, please recommend
    > away?
    >
    > Thanks - Bob

+ Reply to Thread