Simple GigaBit question/information - Routers

This is a discussion on Simple GigaBit question/information - Routers ; Hi, I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK DGS-1005D). The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E). Each PC ...

  1. Simple GigaBit question/information

    Hi,
    I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK
    DGS-1005D).
    The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router
    (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E).

    Each PC has a fixed IP and the "gateway IP" of each one is the ADSL
    10/100 router IP (this let's my browse internet without problem)

    The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    transfer files between the 2 PC with my actual network configuration or
    do I have to but a Gigabit DSL router too, instead of actual 10/100
    ADSL Router? (I've this doubt because on both NIC I've router IP as
    gateway...)

    Really I did some transfer speed test between the 2 gigabit PC, and
    usually I got around 125MBps transfer rate.

    I use the router only to connect to the internet, but the gateway IP of
    each network card PC is the ADSL router 10/100 IP, so I've some doubts...

    Thanks for attention and sorry for bad English.
    Have a good day
    regards
    Matteo

  2. Re: Simple GigaBit question/information

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:47:19 +0200, Matteo Mantini
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK
    >DGS-1005D).
    >The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router
    >(NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E).
    >
    >Each PC has a fixed IP and the "gateway IP" of each one is the ADSL
    >10/100 router IP (this let's my browse internet without problem)
    >
    >The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    >transfer files between the 2 PC with my actual network configuration or
    >do I have to but a Gigabit DSL router too, instead of actual 10/100
    >ADSL Router? (I've this doubt because on both NIC I've router IP as
    >gateway...)
    >
    >Really I did some transfer speed test between the 2 gigabit PC, and
    >usually I got around 125MBps transfer rate.
    >
    >I use the router only to connect to the internet, but the gateway IP of
    >each network card PC is the ADSL router 10/100 IP, so I've some doubts...
    >
    >Thanks for attention and sorry for bad English.
    >Have a good day
    >regards
    >Matteo

    IF I understand what you are saying correctly, that both PCs are
    connected to a gigabit switch, then yes, they will 'benefit' from the
    gigabit speeds. It is easy to test, there are a couple of utilities
    that will tell you the transfer speed between two computers.

  3. Re: Simple GigaBit question/information

    Matteo Mantini wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK
    > DGS-1005D).
    > The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router
    > (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E).
    >
    > Each PC has a fixed IP and the "gateway IP" of each one is the ADSL
    > 10/100 router IP (this let's my browse internet without problem)
    >
    > The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    > transfer files between the 2 PC with my actual network configuration or
    > do I have to but a Gigabit DSL router too, instead of actual 10/100
    > ADSL Router? (I've this doubt because on both NIC I've router IP as
    > gateway...)

    The router connection has no bearing on the connection between the two PCs.

    When a host needs to connect to another resource (other PC) it applies
    the network mask to the source and destination IP addresses, and
    compares the two results. If the results are the same (they would be
    because your hosts are configured with a common network ID, e.g.:
    192.168.1.0), it determines that it doesn't need the services of the
    router and forwards the packets to the other PC directly (addressed at
    the MAC layer).

    Each switch port is also it's own collision domain. One port may be
    configured for, and operate at a speed and duplex setting different than
    other ports. The two ports involved in your transfer are using Gigabit.
    The fact that the port to which the router is connected is FastEthernet
    is irrelevant.

    > Really I did some transfer speed test between the 2 gigabit PC, and
    > usually I got around 125MBps transfer rate.

    The type of NIC, bus, system(s) capabilities, switch capabilities,
    protocol used in the transfer ... are more likely your determining factors.

    > I use the router only to connect to the internet, but the gateway IP of
    > each network card PC is the ADSL router 10/100 IP, so I've some doubts...
    >
    > Thanks for attention and sorry for bad English.
    > Have a good day
    > regards
    > Matteo

    Best Regards,