req adv: commercial grade wlan access point - Routers

This is a discussion on req adv: commercial grade wlan access point - Routers ; I need advice about commercial grade wlan access points. I've done many an installation of a wireless router in an ordinary home, but I have a friend who owns a big mansion (no kidding) and he's asked me to rig ...

  1. req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    I need advice about commercial grade wlan access points.
    I've done many an installation of a wireless router in an ordinary
    home, but I have a friend who owns a big mansion (no kidding) and he's
    asked me to rig him up with a wlan system. I'm in unchartered
    territory here so I'd appreciate any advice or tips about what would
    be good to get. I would rather buy something 2nd hand from ebay
    because if I get it wrong and it doesn't do the trick I'll have to
    keep the gear myself and take the loss. I've seen cisco AP's on ebay
    but not sure what model would be right for my needs and I may need to
    connect a bigger antenna to it. The location of the office relative to
    the router is about 30 meters away through several thick brick walls
    so I need something really strong.
    Thanks for any advice.

  2. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    thanks for your feedback Is there a particular cisco model you would
    recommend for the task described? I don't know one model from the
    next...

  3. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    "tg" wrote in message
    > thanks for your feedback Is there a particular cisco model you would
    > recommend for the task described? I don't know one model from the next...
    >
    >###################

    Joe,

    For the wireless router I would probably go for (also have used) something
    from the wireless 800 series routers, and also a 500 series access point
    (appears to be a square box with circular led) both of these have proven to
    be (by myself at least) "fit and forget". I have never been called out to
    reconfigure or replace either of them and have certainly had no complaints
    about wireless access (or lack of it).

    Please note, as I mentioned earlier .... these are not cheap items but I
    feel that you will not go far wrong with Cisco.

  4. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    Sorry, my bad.

    I addressed you by the wrong name

    Appologies.

  5. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    tg wrote:
    > I need advice about commercial grade wlan access points.
    > I've done many an installation of a wireless router in an ordinary
    > home, but I have a friend who owns a big mansion (no kidding) and he's
    > asked me to rig him up with a wlan system. I'm in unchartered
    > territory here so I'd appreciate any advice or tips about what would
    > be good to get. I would rather buy something 2nd hand from ebay
    > because if I get it wrong and it doesn't do the trick I'll have to
    > keep the gear myself and take the loss. I've seen cisco AP's on ebay
    > but not sure what model would be right for my needs and I may need to
    > connect a bigger antenna to it. The location of the office relative to
    > the router is about 30 meters away through several thick brick walls
    > so I need something really strong.
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Well, I don't own a mansion, but that hasn't stopped me from installing
    a dual wireless router system in my hovel. One router which is connected
    to the broadband modem is the main router. The second one has had all of
    it routing functions and dhcp functions turned off, so it acts basically
    like a hub or a bridge only.

    The routers are connected to each other through a set of Powerline
    Ethernet adapters. The powerline ethernet adapters send data over the
    house's electrical powerplugs. As long as the house doesn't have two or
    more main breaker boxes, data can flow through all of the house's
    electrical plugs; if there are more than one break box, then it's
    possible that this solution won't work for you.

    Yousuf Khan

  6. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message news:4816621d@news.bnb-lp.com...
    > tg wrote:

    > The routers are connected to each other through a set of Powerline Ethernet adapters.
    > The powerline ethernet adapters send data over the house's electrical powerplugs. As
    > long as the house doesn't have two or more main breaker boxes, data can flow through all
    > of the house's electrical plugs; if there are more than one break box, then it's
    > possible that this solution won't work for you.
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    belated reply but thanks for your advice Yousuf. I took your advice and went for the
    network-over-mains adaptors and was very pleased that a) it worked and b) it really was
    plug and play - no set-up, nothing, it just worked straight away. In the eyes of the
    property owner and the staff this meant I was an instant hero and that the whole mansion
    from end to end could now be networked with ease. Thanks again.

  7. Re: req adv: commercial grade wlan access point

    On Jun 4, 5:26 pm, "tg" wrote:
    > belated reply but thanks for your advice Yousuf. I took your advice and went for the
    > network-over-mains adaptors and was very pleased that a) it worked and b) it really was
    > plug and play - no set-up, nothing, it just worked straight away. In the eyes of the
    > property owner and the staff this meant I was an instant hero and that the whole mansion
    > from end to end could now be networked with ease. Thanks again.

    Yes, it's a very good solution, although it's not utilized quite often
    enough. The signal is faster than a WiFi connection, especially at
    large distances away from the router. And of course, it is not
    mutually exclusive to WiFi, you can use it in aid of WiFi for large
    houses such as your example.

    Yousuf Khan

+ Reply to Thread