IP Address is in a different subnet as the gateway address - Routers

This is a discussion on IP Address is in a different subnet as the gateway address - Routers ; I am trying a NetGear wireless router at my home. My cable guy has given the IP address, Subnetmask and gateway as follows: IP Address: 160.242.152.191 Subnetmask: 255.255.240.0 Gateway: 160.242.128.1 When I give the above settings in my PC for ...

  1. IP Address is in a different subnet as the gateway address

    I am trying a NetGear wireless router at my home. My cable guy has
    given the IP address, Subnetmask and gateway as follows:

    IP Address: 160.242.152.191
    Subnetmask: 255.255.240.0
    Gateway: 160.242.128.1

    When I give the above settings in my PC for connecting with the modem,
    I am successfully able to connect to the Internet, but when I gave the
    same in the wireless router settings, i am getting the following
    error:

    IP Address 160.242.152.191 is in a different subnet as the gateway
    address 160.242.128.1

    Is there anyway i can resolve this issue?

    Thanks a lot for your response.

  2. Re: IP Address is in a different subnet as the gateway address

    karthik wrote:
    > I am trying a NetGear wireless router at my home. My cable guy has
    > given the IP address, Subnetmask and gateway as follows:
    >
    > IP Address: 160.242.152.191
    > Subnetmask: 255.255.240.0
    > Gateway: 160.242.128.1

    When a mask of 255.255.240.0 is applied to 160.242.152.191, it yields
    the following:

    Network ID: 160.242.144.0
    Host Range: 160.242.144.1 - 160.242.159.254
    Network Broadcast: 160.242.159.255

    The gateway address you have been given (160.242.128.1) is outside the
    assignable range (160.242.144.1 - 160.242.159.254) for this network ID
    (160.242.144.0).

    Your router is correct in its assessment.

    Although the default gateway is likely to be "160.242.144.1", it is best
    NOT to assume so. You should seek confirmation from your ISP on the
    correct default gateway IP address.

    > When I give the above settings in my PC for connecting with the modem,
    > I am successfully able to connect to the Internet, but when I gave the
    > same in the wireless router settings, i am getting the following
    > error:
    >
    > IP Address 160.242.152.191 is in a different subnet as the gateway
    > address 160.242.128.1
    >
    > Is there anyway i can resolve this issue?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your response.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

  3. Re: IP Address is in a different subnet as the gateway address

    You can't give the same IP addresses to two different computers but I assume
    you know that.

    If you are using a router you should be using Network Address Translation
    (NAT).
    With this method your PC's will have addresses like 192.168.1.xxx. These
    addresses are assigned
    by the DCHP server in the router.

    If you want to see your gateway address use 'ipconfig /all' at the windows
    command prompt.
    This will be a NAT address if you are using a router or something like your
    addresses below
    if you are not using the router.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_router

    Good Luck, Ed

    "karthik" wrote in message
    > I am trying a NetGear wireless router at my home. My cable guy has
    > given the IP address, Subnetmask and gateway as follows:
    >
    > IP Address: 160.242.152.191
    > Subnetmask: 255.255.240.0
    > Gateway: 160.242.128.1
    >
    > When I give the above settings in my PC for connecting with the modem,
    > I am successfully able to connect to the Internet, but when I gave the
    > same in the wireless router settings, i am getting the following
    > error:
    >
    > IP Address 160.242.152.191 is in a different subnet as the gateway
    > address 160.242.128.1
    >
    > Is there anyway i can resolve this issue?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your response.

+ Reply to Thread