Monitoring router's activity - Routers

This is a discussion on Monitoring router's activity - Routers ; Hello, I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the net. Best regards. Wiseman...

  1. Monitoring router's activity

    Hello,

    I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if there
    is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the net.

    Best regards.

    Wiseman

  2. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    Wiseman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if there
    > is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the net.
    >
    > Best regards.

    There are many network manager programs. I use this:

    http://networkmagic.com/

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  3. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
    directly connected to the router. I've learnt that some routers have the
    ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

    "Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
    > Wiseman wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
    >> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
    >> net.
    >>
    >> Best regards.

    > There are many network manager programs. I use this:
    >
    > http://networkmagic.com/
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > Half the people you know are below average.

  4. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:34:50 +0200, "Wiseman"
    wrote:

    >I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
    >directly connected to the router. I've learnt that some routers have the
    >ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

    http://sonic.net/wallwatcher

    the problem is that your particular router is not listed, try it, it
    might work for you

    >"Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
    >> Wiseman wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
    >>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
    >>> net.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards.

    >> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
    >>
    >> http://networkmagic.com/
    >> --
    >> Ed Mullen
    >> http://edmullen.net
    >> Half the people you know are below average.

  5. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    Wiseman wrote:
    > I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers are
    > directly connected to the router.

    Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
    understand that statement at all.

    > I've learnt that some routers have the
    > ability of logging their activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

    So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.

    Or, try Network Magic. The Pro version will email you logs of network
    activity.

    > "Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
    >> Wiseman wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am using the D-Link DSL-2640 adsl router and I would like to know if
    >>> there is a way to monitor the activity of the computers accessing the
    >>> net.
    >>>
    >>> Best regards.

    >> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
    >>
    >> http://networkmagic.com/
    >> --
    >> Ed Mullen
    >> http://edmullen.net
    >> Half the people you know are below average.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Backups? Backups? We don't need no steenking backups! - Famous Last Words

  6. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Wiseman wrote:
    >> I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual
    >> computers are directly connected to the router.

    > Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
    > understand that statement at all.
    >
    >> I've learnt that some routers have the ability of logging their
    >> activity and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

    > So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.

    Sorry, "see IF that is possible."
    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  7. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
    installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?

    "Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    VeKdnaO3I5DtI5PVnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com...
    > Wiseman wrote:
    >> I think that this is not going to be helpful since individual computers
    >> are directly connected to the router.

    > Um, well, err, how else would they be interfaced into your LAN? I don't
    > understand that statement at all.
    >
    >> I've learnt that some routers have the ability of logging their activity
    >> and sending it to the admin via e-mail.

    > So Google your router by maker and model and see it that is possible.
    >
    > Or, try Network Magic. The Pro version will email you logs of network
    > activity.
    >

    >> "Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> McidnW4yF5OfrZPVnZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com...

    >>> There are many network manager programs. I use this:
    >>>
    >>> http://networkmagic.com/
    >>> --
    >>> Ed Mullen
    >>> http://edmullen.net
    >>> Half the people you know are below average.

    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > Backups? Backups? We don't need no steenking backups! - Famous Last
    > Words

  8. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    Wiseman wrote:
    > What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
    > installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?

    Yes, obviously, at least one machine running some piece of monitoring sw
    would need to actually be turned on.

    BTW, even if your router does keep logs they usually are very short-term
    logs.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  9. Re: Monitoring router's activity

    Email from d-link:

    Based on your e-mail it seems that you want to monitor user activity on your
    router.

    As the router is a SOHO segment router you will not be able to monitor the
    user activity on the router.

    In case of any further assistance do revert to us.

    Thank you for networking with D-Link.

    "Ed Mullen" a écrit dans le message de news:
    U8WdnTGqKO2N65LVnZ2dnUVZ_oPinZ2d@comcast.com...
    > Wiseman wrote:
    >> What I meant to say is that if my pc, on which network magic would be
    >> installed, is not on then how will it track the router's activity ?
    >>

    > Yes, obviously, at least one machine running some piece of monitoring sw
    > would need to actually be turned on.
    >
    > BTW, even if your router does keep logs they usually are very short-term
    > logs.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullen
    > http://edmullen.net
    > If a book about failures does not sell, is it a success?

+ Reply to Thread