Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds - Routers

This is a discussion on Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds - Routers ; I have two functional computers hooked up to a linksys router/switch combination. One is a still functional older computer with a mere 10baseT ethernet card. The other has a 10/100 card. My older computer has a large hard drive, but ...

  1. Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds

    I have two functional computers hooked up to a linksys router/switch
    combination. One is a still functional older computer with a mere
    10baseT ethernet card. The other has a 10/100 card. My older computer
    has a large hard drive, but I no longer have a working CD burner. I'm
    trying to do a backup of a large amount of data using the newer XP
    machine via ethernet. My question is this, based on a comment that
    somebody made to me about linksys switches.
    If I'm connecting to the computer with the 10 megabit card, will my
    switch slow down to 10 megabits for all connections? I'm concerned that
    attempting to surf the 'net while I wait for the files to transfer will
    slow down my transfer process. Given that I have a 100 megabit card and
    router, it should be able to handle the traffic from the old computer at
    the old computer's full speed without slowing down the internet, which
    IIRC is only a 4 megabit connection. 10 + 4=14 < 100, even when
    factoring in collisions. However, the switch slows down to 10 megabits,
    I'd want to stick this operation overnight and have it done while I sleep.

  2. Re: Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds

    SlickRCBD wrote:
    > I have two functional computers hooked up to a linksys router/switch
    > combination. One is a still functional older computer with a mere
    > 10baseT ethernet card. The other has a 10/100 card. My older computer
    > has a large hard drive, but I no longer have a working CD burner. I'm
    > trying to do a backup of a large amount of data using the newer XP
    > machine via ethernet. My question is this, based on a comment that
    > somebody made to me about linksys switches.
    > If I'm connecting to the computer with the 10 megabit card, will my
    > switch slow down to 10 megabits for all connections? I'm concerned that
    > attempting to surf the 'net while I wait for the files to transfer will
    > slow down my transfer process. Given that I have a 100 megabit card and
    > router, it should be able to handle the traffic from the old computer at
    > the old computer's full speed without slowing down the internet, which
    > IIRC is only a 4 megabit connection. 10 + 4=14 < 100, even when
    > factoring in collisions. However, the switch slows down to 10 megabits,
    > I'd want to stick this operation overnight and have it done while I sleep.

    The issue likely has less to do with the router/switch's capabilities
    than the fact that the computer you are browsing the Internet with is
    involved in a file transfer (CPU utilization, HD access, etc.).

    Each switch port is its own collision domain. Traffic from one host will
    not collide with traffic from another host. If you were using half
    duplex settings on a host and the switch port it was connected too, you
    could experience collisions between sending and receiving traffic on
    that physical link, but that is normal and not worth worrying about. The
    two will probably negotiate full duplex anyway.

    The FastEthernet port of your new system and the FastEthernet port of
    the switch it is connected to, can handle the combined throughput of the
    file transfer and Internet activities without difficult.

    The throughput of the transfer between the computers is limited by the
    Ethernet card in the old system. The switch receives data at a higher
    bit rate from the new system, will buffer it in memory, and forward it
    to the old system at the lower bit rate. The TCP protocol will also
    regulate the speed based on errors/retransmissions etc. The throughput
    of your Internet activities is limited by the ISP connection.

    The real issue is the resources of your new system, and whether they
    will be challenged by the combined activities (file transfer and
    Internet activity). Web browsing taxes your system less than streaming
    media or FTP downloads etc.

    Why not do a test transfer (~ 5min.) while using the Internet (in what
    ever way you intend), and see what happens?

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

  3. Re: Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds

    News Reader wrote:
    > SlickRCBD wrote:
    >
    >> I have two functional computers hooked up to a linksys router/switch
    >> combination. One is a still functional older computer with a mere
    >> 10baseT ethernet card. The other has a 10/100 card. My older computer
    >> has a large hard drive, but I no longer have a working CD burner. I'm
    >> trying to do a backup of a large amount of data using the newer XP
    >> machine via ethernet. My question is this, based on a comment that
    >> somebody made to me about linksys switches.
    >> If I'm connecting to the computer with the 10 megabit card, will my
    >> switch slow down to 10 megabits for all connections? I'm concerned
    >> that attempting to surf the 'net while I wait for the files to
    >> transfer will slow down my transfer process. Given that I have a 100
    >> megabit card and router, it should be able to handle the traffic from
    >> the old computer at the old computer's full speed without slowing down
    >> the internet, which IIRC is only a 4 megabit connection. 10 + 4=14 <
    >> 100, even when factoring in collisions. However, the switch slows down
    >> to 10 megabits, I'd want to stick this operation overnight and have it
    >> done while I sleep.

    > The issue likely has less to do with the router/switch's capabilities
    > than the fact that the computer you are browsing the Internet with is
    > involved in a file transfer (CPU utilization, HD access, etc.).
    >
    > Each switch port is its own collision domain. Traffic from one host will
    > not collide with traffic from another host. If you were using half
    > duplex settings on a host and the switch port it was connected too, you
    > could experience collisions between sending and receiving traffic on
    > that physical link, but that is normal and not worth worrying about. The
    > two will probably negotiate full duplex anyway.
    >
    > The FastEthernet port of your new system and the FastEthernet port of
    > the switch it is connected to, can handle the combined throughput of the
    > file transfer and Internet activities without difficult.
    >
    > The throughput of the transfer between the computers is limited by the
    > Ethernet card in the old system. The switch receives data at a higher
    > bit rate from the new system, will buffer it in memory, and forward it
    > to the old system at the lower bit rate. The TCP protocol will also
    > regulate the speed based on errors/retransmissions etc. The throughput
    > of your Internet activities is limited by the ISP connection.
    >
    > The real issue is the resources of your new system, and whether they
    > will be challenged by the combined activities (file transfer and
    > Internet activity). Web browsing taxes your system less than streaming
    > media or FTP downloads etc.
    >
    > Why not do a test transfer (~ 5min.) while using the Internet (in what
    > ever way you intend), and see what happens?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > News Reader

    Well, I've decided that I'll just run it overnight. I'll probably do a
    test or two once it gets going, but I didn't do the math very well on
    just how long it's going to take to transfer all the files at
    10megabits. The last time I had to do a backup on this computer via the
    network I only had a the original 4gb drive in that computer and
    10mb/sec didn't take that long relatively speaking. I did the math based
    on 100 megabits, and am too used to the gigabit ethernet at work that I
    forgot how slow 10 megabites was. Kinda funny to call it slow, since I
    remember comparing the speed of the serial-based Appletalk connection
    between the older Macs at school vs the brand new Macs with Ethernet and
    thinking the 10baseT ethernet was REALLY fast. Then again, I thought the
    1GB drive in the [then] new server they installed at high school was HUGE.

  4. Re: Dumb question on linksys router/switch speeds

    I don't think it should matter. On my linksys router
    there are three lights for each port; Link, Col, and 100.

    If I plug in a 10bT and a 100bT PC's the lights show the
    correct speed.

    So I think the answer is your network will not slow down
    in you plug in a 10bT, but if you are doing a point to point
    transfer that may be the bottle neck.

    If you use the old coax daisy chain method it would slow
    down that segment.

    Ed

    "SlickRCBD" wrote in message
    news:26OdnRCqWdiL45vVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I have two functional computers hooked up to a linksys router/switch
    > combination. One is a still functional older computer with a mere 10baseT
    > ethernet card. The other has a 10/100 card. My older computer has a large
    > hard drive, but I no longer have a working CD burner. I'm trying to do a
    > backup of a large amount of data using the newer XP machine via ethernet.
    > My question is this, based on a comment that somebody made to me about
    > linksys switches.
    > If I'm connecting to the computer with the 10 megabit card, will my switch
    > slow down to 10 megabits for all connections? I'm concerned that
    > attempting to surf the 'net while I wait for the files to transfer will
    > slow down my transfer process. Given that I have a 100 megabit card and
    > router, it should be able to handle the traffic from the old computer at
    > the old computer's full speed without slowing down the internet, which
    > IIRC is only a 4 megabit connection. 10 + 4=14 < 100, even when factoring
    > in collisions. However, the switch slows down to 10 megabits, I'd want to
    > stick this operation overnight and have it done while I sleep.

+ Reply to Thread