Advice on wireless router - Routers

This is a discussion on Advice on wireless router - Routers ; I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask belongs in this group - heck, I'm not even sure which way to go with this :-) My apologies in advance and if you can point me in another direction, please ...

  1. Advice on wireless router

    I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask belongs in this group - heck,
    I'm not even sure which way to go with this :-) My apologies in
    advance and if you can point me in another direction, please do!

    Here's the situation:

    My fiancee & I will be getting married in a couple of months. We plan
    to do it outdoors in a park near our house. It looks like a couple of
    important guests will not be able to make it from out of town, so a
    friend suggested a webcast. I've been looking into the webcasting side
    of things & I have a pretty good handle on that.

    The problem is getting the webcast from the park to the internet. I
    have considered two solutions:

    1. I have access to a laptop with a connection to Verizon's wireless
    network. The speeds they advertiser are around 1000-1500 kbps down and
    500-800 kbps up. A little low for a webcast, but maybe workable. I am
    worried, however, by a clause in the fine print of their terms that
    says if you exceed 5 GB/month transfer they may impose a cap of 200
    kbps.

    2. The other solution, since the park is approximately 900-1000 m from
    my house, is some sort of wireless connection. At home I'm lucky
    enough to have a fiber optic connection (5 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up). If
    I could set this up, it would be the answer to all my problems.

    So, the question I'm hoping the experts in this group can answer is:

    Is there some sort of wireless solution that can cover a 1000m gap
    between client and router while maintaining good throughput (at least
    1.5 Mbps) ?

    I considered some sort of "daisy-chaining" arrangement with range
    extenders, although I'm not sure how practical that is, given
    constraints on AC power sources & such.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: Advice on wireless router

    Kryten8768@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask belongs in this group - heck,
    > I'm not even sure which way to go with this :-) My apologies in
    > advance and if you can point me in another direction, please do!
    >
    > Here's the situation:
    >
    > My fiancee & I will be getting married in a couple of months. We plan
    > to do it outdoors in a park near our house. It looks like a couple of
    > important guests will not be able to make it from out of town, so a
    > friend suggested a webcast. I've been looking into the webcasting side
    > of things & I have a pretty good handle on that.
    >
    > The problem is getting the webcast from the park to the internet. I
    > have considered two solutions:
    >
    > 1. I have access to a laptop with a connection to Verizon's wireless
    > network. The speeds they advertiser are around 1000-1500 kbps down and
    > 500-800 kbps up. A little low for a webcast, but maybe workable. I am
    > worried, however, by a clause in the fine print of their terms that
    > says if you exceed 5 GB/month transfer they may impose a cap of 200
    > kbps.
    >
    > 2. The other solution, since the park is approximately 900-1000 m from
    > my house, is some sort of wireless connection. At home I'm lucky
    > enough to have a fiber optic connection (5 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up). If
    > I could set this up, it would be the answer to all my problems.
    >
    > So, the question I'm hoping the experts in this group can answer is:
    >
    > Is there some sort of wireless solution that can cover a 1000m gap
    > between client and router while maintaining good throughput (at least
    > 1.5 Mbps) ?
    >
    > I considered some sort of "daisy-chaining" arrangement with range
    > extenders, although I'm not sure how practical that is, given
    > constraints on AC power sources & such.
    >
    > Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    Fascinating. I don't have an answer but I'd start here:

    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...ge&btnG=Search

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net