Changing Encryption from WEP to WPA - Routers

This is a discussion on Changing Encryption from WEP to WPA - Routers ; My home wireless network comprises a desk top, hard wired to a 3com Office Direct ADSL wireless router and a Toshiba laptop that connects wirelessly.(Both WinXP Pro). The encryption used has been WEP64 and for obvious reasons I need to ...

  1. Changing Encryption from WEP to WPA

    My home wireless network comprises a desk top, hard wired to a 3com
    Office Direct ADSL wireless router and a Toshiba laptop that connects
    wirelessly.(Both WinXP Pro). The encryption used has been WEP64 and
    for obvious reasons I need to change this to a more secure system,
    that is WPA.

    I have entered the router setup and selected WPA (PSK) entered a new
    password (63 characters) and my desktop connects without problems. The
    problem lies with the laptop.

    Initially I simply tried to open Internet Explorer and was asked to
    enter the key via a drop down box. I entered the WPA key and the
    machine connected. All appeared to be well. However, each time shut
    down the laptop or even when I disconnect and reconnect the laptop, it
    defaults to WEP and connects!

    I have tried to remove the wirelass connection by right clicking the
    icon on the task bar selecting the network SSID and remove but it
    persists in 'returning' . Presently I am going around in circles.

    If I enter the router setup and under 'encryption' select WEP64, the
    'old' WEP password still exists so it appears that the router allows
    WEP64 and WPA to co-exist. I don't know whether that is ';normal' or
    not, there is no guidance on the subject in the 3Com manual.

    I guess the question is, how do I get the Laptop to use WPA? Present
    indications are that simply going into the laptop network properties
    and selecting WPA and the new key is not sufficient as it simply
    defaults to WEP64. I assume there is something else involved. Please
    advise or direct me to a site that will help me through this. I have
    already 'Googled' but have not found anything that relates to this
    problem.

  2. Re: Changing Encryption from WEP to WPA

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote in message
    > My home wireless network comprises a desk top, hard wired to a 3com
    > Office Direct ADSL wireless router and a Toshiba laptop that connects
    > wirelessly.(Both WinXP Pro). The encryption used has been WEP64 and
    > for obvious reasons I need to change this to a more secure system,
    > that is WPA.
    >
    > I have entered the router setup and selected WPA (PSK) entered a new
    > password (63 characters) and my desktop connects without problems. The
    > problem lies with the laptop.
    >
    > Initially I simply tried to open Internet Explorer and was asked to
    > enter the key via a drop down box. I entered the WPA key and the
    > machine connected. All appeared to be well. However, each time shut
    > down the laptop or even when I disconnect and reconnect the laptop, it
    > defaults to WEP and connects!

    In case it helps my PC is set up as follows....

    Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections
    Right click on the wireless network connection -> Properties
    Wireless Networks tab
    Configure
    Association tab
    Network name...