Help- Linksys BEFSR41 - Routers

This is a discussion on Help- Linksys BEFSR41 - Routers ; I'd like to ask for some help here... I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router - works great.. We have added a Toshiba Voip type phone- IPT 2010... I am unable to get the Toshiba or the Linksys to recognize each ...

  1. Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    I'd like to ask for some help here...

    I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router - works great..

    We have added a Toshiba Voip type phone- IPT 2010...

    I am unable to get the Toshiba or the Linksys to recognize each other.. the
    phone is programmed correctly - but it is not being assigned an address...
    help??

    Thanks!

    --
    B'rgds,

    Vinnie

  2. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Is this the phone?

    Product Description:

    The Toshiba IPT2010-SD is a 10 Button IP Telephone.

    * Extend full telephone system functionality to any location via your
    private intranet or the Internet

    * Extension-to-extension dialing

    * Busy Lamp Field (BLF) station status display

    * Paging over telephone speakers

    * Off-hook call announce over the telephone handset

    * Voicemail

    ***Phone will not function without Toshiba IP Station cards and IP Phone
    Licenses from a Toshiba Dealer***

    Manufacturer Part Number: IPT2010-SD

    "Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
    > I'd like to ask for some help here...
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router - works great..
    >
    > We have added a Toshiba Voip type phone- IPT 2010...
    >
    > I am unable to get the Toshiba or the Linksys to recognize each other..
    > the phone is programmed correctly - but it is not being assigned an
    > address... help??
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > B'rgds,
    >
    > Vinnie

  3. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Hi, Bruce.. yes, this is it...

    My wife's main office is all set up - but she works from home and we
    received this phone - so she can answer as if she is at the main office....

    The office wants to send another router instead of trying to get ours to
    work...it's a good router and firewall...

    (I should try without the Linksys, to be sure it works all together....

    meantime, any ideas???

    Thank you....

    --
    B'rgds,

    Vinnie

  4. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Update as follows:

    First, the phone is the SDC... I forgot to indicate the 'C'..

    We went direcltty into the cable modem, bypassing Linksys, still no luck...
    tech guy claims it is because modem is not assigning address.

    I now await the 'white sheets' to find out the ports I need to have open
    (Linksys).. he us unable to do this, he doesn't know how....

    --
    B'rgds,

    Vinnie

  5. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Here's a quote off of a forum, try a different brand of router if possible.

    Do not try to connect an IP phone to the later model Linksys routers. I
    spent HOURS wrestling with this and kept getting IPU Connect Error messages.
    This also happened with a late version Netgear. I am not sure which routers
    work and which ones don't, but it seems that models from a year or two ago
    work better.

    An easy test to see if the router is the problem is to plug the IP phone
    directly into the cable or DSL modem, reboot everything one at a time, make
    sure the IP phone is set to "obtain IP address automatically" and see if the
    phone comes up.

    "Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
    > I'd like to ask for some help here...
    >
    > I have a Linksys BEFSR41 Router - works great..
    >
    > We have added a Toshiba Voip type phone- IPT 2010...
    >
    > I am unable to get the Toshiba or the Linksys to recognize each other..
    > the phone is programmed correctly - but it is not being assigned an
    > address... help??
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > B'rgds,
    >
    > Vinnie

  6. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Hi, Bruce..

    Thank you for all the info and your help...

    Here is where we are at, for now...

    Yes, our tech guy said the same thing - the newer routers are problematic in
    terms of security.. he mentioned that the Linksys routers are, especially
    since Cisco took them over...
    However our Router is about 4 years old...

    BUT, here's the kicker!
    The company's tech adviser came in (via go-to-assist) and entered the port
    settings, etc, into the router.. and all went well.. except, the main system
    has been down! (Toshiba card, etc.. ) So someone is back over at the main
    office fixing their system!

    So, at this moment, I cannot tell if the Linksys settings are good or not..
    until the main system is back up and running...

    Keep you posted!

    --
    B'rgds,

    Vinnie

  7. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Thanks Bruce!

    We're up and running..

    The computer guy, who has more experience networking than the phone
    tech,opened a few ports, per the manual, and it works! It's and older
    Linksys, and I guess is a little more agreeable!

    Thank you for your help!!

    --
    B'rgds,

    Vinnie

  8. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    I'd be curious to learn what or which ports we're
    "opened" as IIRC I can't think of any that aren't
    by default already at that status on a BEFSR41.

    > Thanks Bruce!
    >
    > We're up and running..
    >
    > The computer guy, who has more experience networking than the phone
    > tech,opened a few ports, per the manual, and it works! It's and older
    > Linksys, and I guess is a little more agreeable!
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!
    >
    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    > > Hi, Bruce..
    > >
    > > Thank you for all the info and your help...
    > >
    > > Here is where we are at, for now...
    > >
    > > Yes, our tech guy said the same thing - the newer routers are
    > > problematic in terms of security.. he mentioned that the Linksys
    > > routers are, especially since Cisco took them over...
    > > However our Router is about 4 years old...
    > >
    > > BUT, here's the kicker!
    > > The company's tech adviser came in (via go-to-assist) and entered the
    > > port settings, etc, into the router.. and all went well.. except, the
    > > main system has been down! (Toshiba card, etc.. ) So someone is back
    > > over at the main office fixing their system!
    > >
    > > So, at this moment, I cannot tell if the Linksys settings are good or
    > > not.. until the main system is back up and running...
    > >
    > > Keep you posted!
    > >

    > > Bruce wrote:
    > >> Here's a quote off of a forum, try a different brand of router if
    > >> possible.
    > >> Do not try to connect an IP phone to the later model Linksys routers.
    > >> I spent HOURS wrestling with this and kept getting IPU Connect Error
    > >> messages. This also happened with a late version Netgear. I am not
    > >> sure which routers work and which ones don't, but it seems that
    > >> models from a year or two ago work better.
    > >>
    > >> An easy test to see if the router is the problem is to plug the IP
    > >> phone directly into the cable or DSL modem, reboot everything one at
    > >> a time, make sure the IP phone is set to "obtain IP address
    > >> automatically" and see if the phone comes up.
    > >>
    > >> "Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message

    > --
    > B'rgds,
    >
    > Vinnie

  9. Re: Help- Linksys BEFSR41

    Glad I could help

    You're welcome,
    Bruce

    "Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
    > Thanks Bruce!
    >
    > We're up and running..
    >
    > The computer guy, who has more experience networking than the phone
    > tech,opened a few ports, per the manual, and it works! It's and older
    > Linksys, and I guess is a little more agreeable!
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!
    >
    > Uncle Vinnie wrote:
    >> Hi, Bruce..
    >>
    >> Thank you for all the info and your help...
    >>
    >> Here is where we are at, for now...
    >>
    >> Yes, our tech guy said the same thing - the newer routers are
    >> problematic in terms of security.. he mentioned that the Linksys
    >> routers are, especially since Cisco took them over...
    >> However our Router is about 4 years old...
    >>
    >> BUT, here's the kicker!
    >> The company's tech adviser came in (via go-to-assist) and entered the
    >> port settings, etc, into the router.. and all went well.. except, the
    >> main system has been down! (Toshiba card, etc.. ) So someone is back
    >> over at the main office fixing their system!
    >>
    >> So, at this moment, I cannot tell if the Linksys settings are good or
    >> not.. until the main system is back up and running...
    >>
    >> Keep you posted!
    >>

    >> Bruce wrote:
    >>> Here's a quote off of a forum, try a different brand of router if
    >>> possible.
    >>> Do not try to connect an IP phone to the later model Linksys routers.
    >>> I spent HOURS wrestling with this and kept getting IPU Connect Error
    >>> messages. This also happened with a late version Netgear. I am not
    >>> sure which routers work and which ones don't, but it seems that
    >>> models from a year or two ago work better.
    >>>
    >>> An easy test to see if the router is the problem is to plug the IP
    >>> phone directly into the cable or DSL modem, reboot everything one at
    >>> a time, make sure the IP phone is set to "obtain IP address
    >>> automatically" and see if the phone comes up.
    >>>
    >>> "Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message

    > --
    > B'rgds,
    >
    > Vinnie