Problem with router sharing - wired - Routers

This is a discussion on Problem with router sharing - wired - Routers ; Hi, hope someone can help! I am trying to connect 2 pc's to my virgin-media broadband. I have an ethernet hub attached to router and both pc's plugged into hub. I can recieve broadband on both, but only one at ...

  1. Problem with router sharing - wired

    Hi, hope someone can help! I am trying to connect 2 pc's to my virgin-media
    broadband. I have an ethernet hub attached to router and both pc's plugged
    into hub. I can recieve broadband on both, but only one at a time. The
    first pc will only show online when the other is unplugged. The second pc
    shows as connected all the time whether they are both plugged in or not, but
    I am getting server not found all the time. I have tried to install the
    virgin media install cd on the second pc (already done this on the first pc)
    but it says cant repair/replace isp. I have rebooted the router many times,
    I have no idea what to do next. i only have one ethernet port and one usb
    on my router - I have tried connecting first pc by usb using the install
    disc from virgin with no luck. Likewise i have only one ethernet port on my
    pc so am not sure how to network that way either. Forgive my lack of
    knowledge in this, I don't have anyone around i can ask!
    Fingers crossed and many thanks in advance

  2. Re: Problem with router sharing - wired

    "GAIL OBRIAN" wrote in message
    > Hi, hope someone can help! I am trying to connect 2 pc's to my

    virgin-media
    > broadband. I have an ethernet hub attached to router and both pc's

    plugged
    > into hub. I can recieve broadband on both, but only one at a time. The
    > first pc will only show online when the other is unplugged. The second pc
    > shows as connected all the time whether they are both plugged in or not,

    but
    > I am getting server not found all the time. I have tried to install the
    > virgin media install cd on the second pc (already done this on the first

    pc)
    > but it says cant repair/replace isp. I have rebooted the router many

    times,
    > I have no idea what to do next. i only have one ethernet port and one usb
    > on my router - I have tried connecting first pc by usb using the install
    > disc from virgin with no luck. Likewise i have only one ethernet port on

    my
    > pc so am not sure how to network that way either. Forgive my lack of
    > knowledge in this, I don't have anyone around i can ask!
    > Fingers crossed and many thanks in advance

    I believe you need an ethernet router not an ethernet hub to share cable.

  3. Re: Problem with router sharing - wired

    I agree, sounds like you have a modem and a hub but no router to give out IP
    addresses. Also no Nat Firewall.

    Bruce

    "GAIL OBRIAN" wrote in message
    > Hi, hope someone can help! I am trying to connect 2 pc's to my
    > virgin-media broadband. I have an ethernet hub attached to router and
    > both pc's plugged into hub. I can recieve broadband on both, but only one
    > at a time. The first pc will only show online when the other is
    > unplugged. The second pc shows as connected all the time whether they are
    > both plugged in or not, but I am getting server not found all the time. I
    > have tried to install the virgin media install cd on the second pc
    > (already done this on the first pc) but it says cant repair/replace isp. I
    > have rebooted the router many times, I have no idea what to do next. i
    > only have one ethernet port and one usb on my router - I have tried
    > connecting first pc by usb using the install disc from virgin with no
    > luck. Likewise i have only one ethernet port on my pc so am not sure how
    > to network that way either. Forgive my lack of knowledge in this, I don't
    > have anyone around i can ask!
    > Fingers crossed and many thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread