Risk to use of DMZ ? - Routers

This is a discussion on Risk to use of DMZ ? - Routers ; I have a little video server that I'd like to access from the Internet. Currently it's sitting on the LAN side of a NAT equipped router and can only be viewed by PC's on the LAN side. It seems like ...

  1. Risk to use of DMZ ?

    I have a little video server that I'd like to access from the Internet.
    Currently it's sitting on the LAN side of a NAT equipped router and can only
    be viewed by PC's on the LAN side.

    It seems like the simplest way to do this is to put the video server into
    the DMZ of the router but I'd like to understand what risks there are doing
    this? The server is not PC based - it's a dedicated box. If hacked I could
    presumably just hit the reset button and reconfigure it easily
    enough...unless the firmware was tampered with. Is there any possibility
    that the box could be hacked provide access from the WAN to the LAN to
    redirect traffic (eg to a phishing site) or something else worse than just
    simple graffiti?

    Is there a better way to set it up? I've heard that leaving it on the LAN
    side causes problems for other people who are also behind a NAT router (eg
    two NATs).

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Risk to use of DMZ ?

    From: "CWatters"

    | I have a little video server that I'd like to access from the Internet.
    | Currently it's sitting on the LAN side of a NAT equipped router and can only
    | be viewed by PC's on the LAN side.
    |
    | It seems like the simplest way to do this is to put the video server into
    | the DMZ of the router but I'd like to understand what risks there are doing
    | this? The server is not PC based - it's a dedicated box. If hacked I could
    | presumably just hit the reset button and reconfigure it easily
    | enough...unless the firmware was tampered with. Is there any possibility
    | that the box could be hacked provide access from the WAN to the LAN to
    | redirect traffic (eg to a phishing site) or something else worse than just
    | simple graffiti?
    |
    | Is there a better way to set it up? I've heard that leaving it on the LAN
    | side causes problems for other people who are also behind a NAT router (eg
    | two NATs).
    |
    | Thanks.

    Use Port Forwarding to the IP address of the video server.

    --
    Dave