Sharing folders via ADSL router - is it safe and secure? - Routers

This is a discussion on Sharing folders via ADSL router - is it safe and secure? - Routers ; Hi Is it safe to share folders between PC's seeing each other via a Broadband Router? As I'm using a broadband router to network the PC's I'm concerned that the shared folders are viewable by the public vulnerable to unauthrouised ...

  1. Sharing folders via ADSL router - is it safe and secure?

    Hi

    Is it safe to share folders between PC's seeing each other via a Broadband
    Router?

    As I'm using a broadband router to network the PC's I'm concerned that the
    shared folders are viewable by the public vulnerable to unauthrouised access
    via the internet.

    I have two XP PC's getting internet access via ethernet from an ADSL
    (Netgear) router.

    Both PCs have several shared folders which are mapped as networked drives on
    the other.

    Each PC's IP address has been setup as trusted within the firewall (Zone
    Alarm).

    If the folders are publicly accessible via the internet is there a way to
    share them privately?

    Thanks for any info.

    Ian

  2. Re: Sharing folders via ADSL router - is it safe and secure?

    From: "Ian R"

    | Hi
    |
    | Is it safe to share folders between PC's seeing each other via a Broadband
    | Router?

    Yes on the LAN side.
    NO on the WAN side. You leave yourself susceptible to Internet worms.

    | As I'm using a broadband router to network the PC's I'm concerned that the
    | shared folders are viewable by the public vulnerable to unauthrouised access
    | via the internet.

    Routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) and act as a simplistic FireWall. On most
    Routers (Netgear included) you can specifically block TCP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 which
    provides additional protection. NAT alone provides protection against WAN access to LAN
    nodes.

    | I have two XP PC's getting internet access via ethernet from an ADSL
    | (Netgear) router.
    |
    | Both PCs have several shared folders which are mapped as networked drives on
    | the other.
    |
    | Each PC's IP address has been setup as trusted within the firewall (Zone
    | Alarm).
    |
    | If the folders are publicly accessible via the internet is there a way to
    | share them privately?

    Only via a VPN Router.

    | Thanks for any info.
    |
    | Ian