Home Network Problem - Routers

This is a discussion on Home Network Problem - Routers ; Just installed a Netgear WPN824 wireless router with a XP desktop connected to a lan port and a Vista laptop using wireless. I use a Hughes satellite dish and modem for internet connected to the Netgear router. The desktop and ...

  1. Home Network Problem

    Just installed a Netgear WPN824 wireless router with a XP desktop connected
    to a lan port and a Vista laptop using wireless. I use a Hughes satellite
    dish and modem for internet connected to the Netgear router. The desktop and
    laptop are both connecting to the internet normally but having no success
    getting a network setup for file sharing. I've followed the wizards and
    went through all the help files on both the XP and Vista machines.
    However I was able to setup a network with the XP desktop and another laptop
    running W98 via a lan connection to the router. I'm not getting the
    graphical representation of the network configuration on the desktop(no big
    deal), but I can access the shared folders via explorer.
    Any guidance on what to do or where to go for help getting the Vista
    wireless laptop to join the network?

  2. Re: Home Network Problem

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:06:33 -0600, "Jeff Dieterle"
    wrote:

    >Just installed a Netgear WPN824 wireless router with a XP desktop connected
    >to a lan port and a Vista laptop using wireless. I use a Hughes satellite
    >dish and modem for internet connected to the Netgear router. The desktop and
    >laptop are both connecting to the internet normally but having no success
    >getting a network setup for file sharing. I've followed the wizards and
    >went through all the help files on both the XP and Vista machines.
    >However I was able to setup a network with the XP desktop and another laptop
    >running W98 via a lan connection to the router. I'm not getting the
    >graphical representation of the network configuration on the desktop(no big
    >deal), but I can access the shared folders via explorer.
    >Any guidance on what to do or where to go for help getting the Vista
    >wireless laptop to join the network?

    Make sure it is in the same workgroup, then sure you share the hard
    drive. Lastly I can only share the Users/Public folder on my Vista
    desktop and 20 pc network.

  3. Re: Home Network Problem

    Turned out the Norton firewall on the Vista laptop was the culprit. I had 2
    choices, either turn on the needed ports and leave Norton's firewall on or
    turn off the Norton firewall and use the default windows firewall which all
    ready has the necessary ports open.
    I chose the windows firewall option as I'm not sure I'll stay with Norton,
    I'm on the 90 day freebie plan with it.

  4. Re: Home Network Problem

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:18:34 -0600, "Jeff Dieterle"
    wrote:

    >Turned out the Norton firewall on the Vista laptop was the culprit. I had 2
    >choices, either turn on the needed ports and leave Norton's firewall on or
    >turn off the Norton firewall and use the default windows firewall which all
    >ready has the necessary ports open.
    >I chose the windows firewall option as I'm not sure I'll stay with Norton,
    >I'm on the 90 day freebie plan with it.

    Symantec and Macfee both slow down the computer anywhere from 10 to
    20%. Symantec is doing a complete rewrite but has not finished it yet.
    Macfee will have to keep competitive. Personally I use AVG but many
    other use Avast. Both have free versions, which I use.
    The main question on anti-viruses etc, is if I send you a file will
    you open it? If so WHY??? I don't normally send you files! It could be
    a virus sending files out ot everyone and you just got it. If you
    think about whay you get and how you handle it, then alot of the
    viruses and trojans etc can't get in.

  5. Re: Home Network Problem

    I had the same issue on my new laptop with norton. I got rid of it and have
    had no problem since!

    "f/fgeorge" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:18:34 -0600, "Jeff Dieterle"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Turned out the Norton firewall on the Vista laptop was the culprit. I had
    >>2
    >>choices, either turn on the needed ports and leave Norton's firewall on or
    >>turn off the Norton firewall and use the default windows firewall which
    >>all
    >>ready has the necessary ports open.
    >>I chose the windows firewall option as I'm not sure I'll stay with Norton,
    >>I'm on the 90 day freebie plan with it.
    >>

    > Symantec and Macfee both slow down the computer anywhere from 10 to
    > 20%. Symantec is doing a complete rewrite but has not finished it yet.
    > Macfee will have to keep competitive. Personally I use AVG but many
    > other use Avast. Both have free versions, which I use.
    > The main question on anti-viruses etc, is if I send you a file will
    > you open it? If so WHY??? I don't normally send you files! It could be
    > a virus sending files out ot everyone and you just got it. If you
    > think about whay you get and how you handle it, then alot of the
    > viruses and trojans etc can't get in.

+ Reply to Thread