Westell 6100 router question - Routers

This is a discussion on Westell 6100 router question - Routers ; I have Verizon DSL with the 6100 modem. It appears the 6100 has a built-in router. I also run a NetGear Wireless router. Can the 6100 router be disabled? And if so - how to go about it. Ted...

  1. Westell 6100 router question

    I have Verizon DSL with the 6100 modem.

    It appears the 6100 has a built-in router. I also run a NetGear Wireless
    router.

    Can the 6100 router be disabled? And if so - how to go about it.

    Ted

  2. Re: Westell 6100 router question

    Scherb066 wrote:
    > I have Verizon DSL with the 6100 modem.
    >
    > It appears the 6100 has a built-in router. I also run a NetGear Wireless
    > router.
    >
    > Can the 6100 router be disabled? And if so - how to go about it.
    >
    > Ted

    Ted:

    What you have to do is put the Westel in "Bridge" mode so that it will
    act like a DSL modem only.

    A good description of putting the Westell 6100 in bridge mode can be
    found Here:

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/13600

    or Here:

    http://members.verizon.net/~res08lyg/6100.htm

    The ROUTER then handles the PPoE login and DHCP. Also remember that
    the Westell and the new router MUST be on different subnets. Example:
    If you leave the Westell's IP address as 192.168.1.1 (The default) the
    router's IP address sould be changed to, say, 192.168.2.1 The
    router will then hand out IP addresses to any PC connected to it in
    the range 192.168.2.x

    HTH & GL

    John

    --