Video server behind firewall - Routers

This is a discussion on Video server behind firewall - Routers ; I'm looking for a primer on how to set up a video server on a home network (ADSL, NAT router, Dynamic IP etc). I've done some reading but I have a few questions.. a) Is it better to put the ...

  1. Video server behind firewall

    I'm looking for a primer on how to set up a video server on a home network
    (ADSL, NAT router, Dynamic IP etc). I've done some reading but I have a few
    questions..

    a) Is it better to put the server in the DMZ of the router firewall or open
    ports through it?

    b) I believe the way round the dynamic IP issue is to set up a DNS - where
    can I read more about how to do that ?

    c) I've read that there is a complication if my video server and someone
    viewing it are both behind NAT equipped routers. Does setting up DNS also
    solve this?

    and about video servers..

    c) My home lan is 100Mbit but my connection to the internet is obviously a
    lot less. Anyone know if cheap $200 video servers can handle this difference
    seamlessly? I mean if I have it configured to serve video at a rate suitable
    for my home lan.... it will be too fast for other people viewing via my
    internet connection or does the server just sort it out?

    d) Any recommendations for a good video server to do this? Worth paying for
    one that supports MPEG4 or ?? It's just a bird box cam or two.

  2. Re: Video server behind firewall

    "CWatters" wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a primer on how to set up a video server on a home network
    > (ADSL, NAT router, Dynamic IP etc). I've done some reading but I have a

    few
    > questions..
    >
    > a) Is it better to put the server in the DMZ of the router firewall or

    open
    > ports through it?
    >
    > b) I believe the way round the dynamic IP issue is to set up a DNS - where
    > can I read more about how to do that ?
    >
    > c) I've read that there is a complication if my video server and someone
    > viewing it are both behind NAT equipped routers. Does setting up DNS also
    > solve this?
    >
    > and about video servers..
    >
    > c) My home lan is 100Mbit but my connection to the internet is obviously a
    > lot less. Anyone know if cheap $200 video servers can handle this

    difference
    > seamlessly? I mean if I have it configured to serve video at a rate

    suitable
    > for my home lan.... it will be too fast for other people viewing via my
    > internet connection or does the server just sort it out?
    >
    > d) Any recommendations for a good video server to do this? Worth paying

    for
    > one that supports MPEG4 or ?? It's just a bird box cam or two.

    I've used the VLC software, configured port forwarding
    on my NAT router and that setup seems to work. More
    info available here:
    http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/

  3. Re: Video server behind firewall

    "." <.@dot.com> wrote in message news:JBlsj.9758$n42.9676@newsfe08.phx...
    > "CWatters" wrote in message
    > > I'm looking for a primer on how to set up a video server on a home

    network
    > > (ADSL, NAT router, Dynamic IP etc). I've done some reading but I have a

    > few
    > > questions..
    > >
    > > a) Is it better to put the server in the DMZ of the router firewall or

    > open
    > > ports through it?
    > >
    > > b) I believe the way round the dynamic IP issue is to set up a DNS -

    where
    > > can I read more about how to do that ?
    > >
    > > c) I've read that there is a complication if my video server and someone
    > > viewing it are both behind NAT equipped routers. Does setting up DNS

    also
    > > solve this?
    > >
    > > and about video servers..
    > >
    > > c) My home lan is 100Mbit but my connection to the internet is obviously

    > > lot less. Anyone know if cheap $200 video servers can handle this

    > difference
    > > seamlessly? I mean if I have it configured to serve video at a rate

    > suitable
    > > for my home lan.... it will be too fast for other people viewing via my
    > > internet connection or does the server just sort it out?
    > >
    > > d) Any recommendations for a good video server to do this? Worth paying

    > for
    > > one that supports MPEG4 or ?? It's just a bird box cam or two.
    > >

    > I've used the VLC software, configured port forwarding
    > on my NAT router and that setup seems to work. More
    > info available here:
    > http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/

    Thanks but I was really looking to do this in hardware so I didn't have to
    tie up a PC. Something like one of these perhaps or similar.

    http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...roducts_id=105

  4. Re: Video server behind firewall

    Try Yamcam, with a UPNP router it might open the ports for you and it is
    free, otherwise you can open them manually. No-ip is a free DNS client that
    works well.

    http://www.yawcam.com/

    http://www.no-ip.com

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    "CWatters" wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a primer on how to set up a video server on a home network
    > (ADSL, NAT router, Dynamic IP etc). I've done some reading but I have a
    > few
    > questions..
    >
    > a) Is it better to put the server in the DMZ of the router firewall or
    > open
    > ports through it?
    >
    > b) I believe the way round the dynamic IP issue is to set up a DNS - where
    > can I read more about how to do that ?
    >
    > c) I've read that there is a complication if my video server and someone
    > viewing it are both behind NAT equipped routers. Does setting up DNS also
    > solve this?
    >
    > and about video servers..
    >
    > c) My home lan is 100Mbit but my connection to the internet is obviously a
    > lot less. Anyone know if cheap $200 video servers can handle this
    > difference
    > seamlessly? I mean if I have it configured to serve video at a rate
    > suitable
    > for my home lan.... it will be too fast for other people viewing via my
    > internet connection or does the server just sort it out?
    >
    > d) Any recommendations for a good video server to do this? Worth paying
    > for
    > one that supports MPEG4 or ?? It's just a bird box cam or two.

+ Reply to Thread