Can't connect new laptop - Routers

This is a discussion on Can't connect new laptop - Routers ; I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for wireless on my desktop on the other side of the house but it was unreliable. So, I got one of those gadgets that connects you through your ...

  1. Can't connect new laptop

    I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for wireless on
    my desktop on the other side of the house but it was unreliable. So, I got
    one of those gadgets that connects you through your electrical wires (it
    works perfectly!)

    Now we got a laptop and want to connect wirelessly. When we try to connect
    we don't "see" the router. We see neighbors' wireless routers but not ours.

    What's weird is my wireless router (or the connection) is named "Scott's
    Internet" but once in a while we will see a connection called "Scott's
    Online Company". I assume that at some point in the past I had used that
    name when configuring or something. However, the password that I used for
    Scott's Internet doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can't connect new laptop

    S wrote:
    > I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for
    > wireless on my desktop on the other side of the house but it was
    > unreliable. So, I got one of those gadgets that connects you through
    > your electrical wires (it works perfectly!)
    >
    > Now we got a laptop and want to connect wirelessly. When we try to
    > connect we don't "see" the router. We see neighbors' wireless
    > routers but not ours.
    > What's weird is my wireless router (or the connection) is named
    > "Scott's Internet" but once in a while we will see a connection
    > called "Scott's Online Company". I assume that at some point in the
    > past I had used that name when configuring or something. However,
    > the password that I used for Scott's Internet doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    make sure the router is broadcasting its ssid, and that wireless is on. just
    to be sure change passkey to something you can remember.

  3. Re: Can't connect new laptop

    "tony h" wrote in message
    >S wrote:
    >> I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for
    >> wireless on my desktop on the other side of the house but it was
    >> unreliable. So, I got one of those gadgets that connects you through
    >> your electrical wires (it works perfectly!)
    >>
    >> Now we got a laptop and want to connect wirelessly. When we try to
    >> connect we don't "see" the router. We see neighbors' wireless
    >> routers but not ours.
    >> What's weird is my wireless router (or the connection) is named
    >> "Scott's Internet" but once in a while we will see a connection
    >> called "Scott's Online Company". I assume that at some point in the
    >> past I had used that name when configuring or something. However,
    >> the password that I used for Scott's Internet doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > make sure the router is broadcasting its ssid, and that wireless is on.
    > just to be sure change passkey to something you can remember.

    I know my passkey (I was even able to verify it on my desktop by looking at
    my wireless config). How do I check whether the ssid is being broadcast?

  4. Re: Can't connect new laptop

    S wrote:
    > "tony h" wrote in message
    >> S wrote:
    >>> I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for
    >>> wireless on my desktop on the other side of the house but it was
    >>> unreliable. So, I got one of those gadgets that connects you
    >>> through your electrical wires (it works perfectly!)
    >>>
    >>> Now we got a laptop and want to connect wirelessly. When we try to
    >>> connect we don't "see" the router. We see neighbors' wireless
    >>> routers but not ours.
    >>> What's weird is my wireless router (or the connection) is named
    >>> "Scott's Internet" but once in a while we will see a connection
    >>> called "Scott's Online Company". I assume that at some point in the
    >>> past I had used that name when configuring or something. However,
    >>> the password that I used for Scott's Internet doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> make sure the router is broadcasting its ssid, and that wireless is
    >> on. just to be sure change passkey to something you can remember.
    >>

    > I know my passkey (I was even able to verify it on my desktop by
    > looking at my wireless config). How do I check whether the ssid is
    > being broadcast?

    no idea! just had a quick peek at the MS site, looking for instructions,
    didnt find any! the manual (which you should have) should tell you. also,
    log onto the router and check the wireless settings, should be in there.

  5. Re: Can't connect new laptop

    "tony h" wrote in message
    >S wrote:
    >> "tony h" wrote in message

    >>> make sure the router is broadcasting its ssid, and that wireless is
    >>> on. just to be sure change passkey to something you can remember.
    >>>

    >> I know my passkey (I was even able to verify it on my desktop by
    >> looking at my wireless config). How do I check whether the ssid is
    >> being broadcast?

    > no idea! just had a quick peek at the MS site, looking for instructions,
    > didnt find any! the manual (which you should have) should tell you. also,
    > log onto the router and check the wireless settings, should be in there.

    broadcasting of ssid , see pg 16 of the following manual

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...tion_Guide.pdf

    --

    h2so4
    play triogical at http://www.triogical.com

  6. Re: Can't connect new laptop

    "S" wrote in message
    news:LfWdnXUm6esi1DLanZ2dnUVZ_uuqnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I have a Microsoft MN-700 wireless router. I used to use it for wireless

    on
    > my desktop on the other side of the house but it was unreliable. So, I

    got
    > one of those gadgets that connects you through your electrical wires (it
    > works perfectly!)
    >
    > Now we got a laptop and want to connect wirelessly. When we try to

    connect
    > we don't "see" the router. We see neighbors' wireless routers but not

    ours.

    > What's weird is my wireless router (or the connection) is named "Scott's
    > Internet" but once in a while we will see a connection called "Scott's
    > Online Company". I assume that at some point in the past I had used that
    > name when configuring or something. However, the password that I used for
    > Scott's Internet doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Both on same channel?