Accessing home network with corporate laptop - Routers

This is a discussion on Accessing home network with corporate laptop - Routers ; Just got a new corporate laptop with XP professional. I can access all corporate function(intranet, the internet, and Outlook mail services) by either ethernet cable or through my Netgear wireless router. I do have to run VPN Client after I ...

  1. Accessing home network with corporate laptop

    Just got a new corporate laptop with XP professional.
    I can access all corporate function(intranet, the internet, and
    Outlook mail services) by either ethernet cable or through my Netgear
    wireless router. I do have to run VPN Client after I connect.

    So once I'm hardwired, or connected wireless, how can I connect to my
    home network, to share files and access printers ?

  2. Re: Accessing home network with corporate laptop

    On Feb 5, 3:09*pm, UPNDOWN wrote:
    > *Just got a new corporate laptop with XP professional.
    > I can access all corporate function(intranet, the internet, and
    > Outlook mail services) by either ethernet cable or through my Netgear
    > wireless router. *I do have to run VPN Client after I connect.
    >
    > So once I'm hardwired, or connected wireless, *how can I connect to my
    > home network, to share files and access printers ?

    Update on trying. XP professionial say because the laptop belongs to
    a domain, I can't create a network.
    When I tried creating a wireless home network, after I typed in all
    the information, I was able to see my home network, use the printer,
    but then I couldn't log in to my companies network. My logins for VPN
    were invalid. So the company reset everything, so everything works,
    but my home network disappeared. So I assuming this won't work
    either.

    Does anybody have any other ideas.

    One other question, If I upgrade my Netgear wireless router to one
    with VPN, can I use CISCO VPN client to get to my network that way?

  3. Re: Accessing home network with corporate laptop

    "UPNDOWN" wrote in message
    >On Feb 5, 3:09 pm, UPNDOWN wrote:
    >> Just got a new corporate laptop with XP professional.
    >> I can access all corporate function(intranet, the internet, and
    >> Outlook mail services) by either ethernet cable or through my Netgear
    >> wireless router. I do have to run VPN Client after I connect.
    >>
    >> So once I'm hardwired, or connected wireless, how can I connect to my
    >> home network, to share files and access printers ?

    >Update on trying. XP professionial say because the laptop belongs to
    >a domain, I can't create a network.
    >When I tried creating a wireless home network, after I typed in all
    >the information, I was able to see my home network, use the printer,
    >but then I couldn't log in to my companies network. My logins for VPN
    >were invalid. So the company reset everything, so everything works,
    >but my home network disappeared. So I assuming this won't work
    >either.
    >
    >Does anybody have any other ideas.
    >
    >One other question, If I upgrade my Netgear wireless router to one
    >with VPN, can I use CISCO VPN client to get to my network that way?

    Did you contact the IP services at your "corporate" ?
    This *must* be the *best* place to grab the needed informations to fullfill
    your requirements.

  4. Re: Accessing home network with corporate laptop

    "ray" wrote in message
    > "UPNDOWN" wrote in message
    > >On Feb 5, 3:09 pm, UPNDOWN wrote:
    > >> Just got a new corporate laptop with XP professional.
    > >> I can access all corporate function(intranet, the internet, and
    > >> Outlook mail services) by either ethernet cable or through my Netgear
    > >> wireless router. I do have to run VPN Client after I connect.
    > >>
    > >> So once I'm hardwired, or connected wireless, how can I connect to my
    > >> home network, to share files and access printers ?

    > >Update on trying. XP professionial say because the laptop belongs to
    > >a domain, I can't create a network.
    > >When I tried creating a wireless home network, after I typed in all
    > >the information, I was able to see my home network, use the printer,
    > >but then I couldn't log in to my companies network. My logins for VPN
    > >were invalid. So the company reset everything, so everything works,
    > >but my home network disappeared. So I assuming this won't work
    > >either.
    > >
    > >Does anybody have any other ideas.
    > >
    > >One other question, If I upgrade my Netgear wireless router to one
    > >with VPN, can I use CISCO VPN client to get to my network that way?
    > >

    > Did you contact the IP services at your "corporate" ?
    > This *must* be the *best* place to grab the needed informations to

    fullfill
    > your requirements.

    I've not tried it but I believe one trick is to set your home workgroup to
    be the same as the Domain... Say your domain name is MyCo.com. Call your
    workgroup MyCo with no .com. Set the workgroup account name and password to
    be the same as you use for the domain..
    ----

  5. Re: Accessing home network with corporate laptop

    Google suggests..

    How to take a domain laptop to a workgroup
    http://winhlp.com/node/87

+ Reply to Thread