  2. Re: e-Tech modem router with 4 port swtch V2

    From: "Geo55"

    | I'm looking for the utility to flash the firmware via de USB port
    | 'cause something was going wrong with the PC that was flashing it
    | (power down and flash incomplete)

    I dfon't know the this Router but can't it pull FirmWare images via the management URL web
    page or via a TFTP client ?

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: e-Tech modem router with 4 port swtch V2

    Op Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:40:08 GMT, schreef "David H. Lipman"
    :

    >From: "Geo55"
    >
    >| I'm looking for the utility to flash the firmware via de USB port
    >| 'cause something was going wrong with the PC that was flashing it
    >| (power down and flash incomplete)
    >|

    >I dfon't know the this Router but can't it pull FirmWare images via the management URL web
    >page or via a TFTP client ?

    in the normal way flashing the firmware is made with a PC connected at
    the rj45 (Ethernet) port. But when it fails (for any reason) the
    router no long start up (and nog connection is possible via Ethernet).

    It is then only possible to flash the router via the USB port but
    therefore one needs the special flash utility.

    --
    Regards,
    Georges

  4. Re: e-Tech modem router with 4 port swtch V2

    From: "Geo55"

    | in the normal way flashing the firmware is made with a PC connected at
    | the rj45 (Ethernet) port. But when it fails (for any reason) the
    | router no long start up (and nog connection is possible via Ethernet).
    |
    | It is then only possible to flash the router via the USB port but
    | therefore one needs the special flash utility.

    If any device uses Flashable FirmWare (PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, etc.) and the flashing fails
    then the device will fail to work properly and only the manuafcturer can fix it. This may
    by reaplcing the chip with a Flashable ROM/RAM chip that has the correct instructions/binary
    code.

    --
    Dave

  5. Re: e-Tech modem router with 4 port swtch V2

    Op Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:45:36 GMT, schreef "David H. Lipman"
    :

    >From: "Geo55"
    >

    >| in the normal way flashing the firmware is made with a PC connected at
    >| the rj45 (Ethernet) port. But when it fails (for any reason) the
    >| router no long start up (and nog connection is possible via Ethernet).
    >|
    >| It is then only possible to flash the router via the USB port but
    >| therefore one needs the special flash utility.
    >|

    >If any device uses Flashable FirmWare (PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, etc.) and the flashing fails
    >then the device will fail to work properly and only the manuafcturer can fix it. This may
    >by reaplcing the chip with a Flashable ROM/RAM chip that has the correct instructions/binary
    >code.

    Sorry to inform you that there *exist* a utility to flash this
    router-modem via the USB port. Only is it so that e-Tech no longer
    want to distribute it. That's the reason I asked for it here.

    Sending back the router to the manufacturer is not an option (to
    expensive and for the price I can buy a new one). Also I'll *never*
    buy again some stuff from E-Tech..

    If it was (for instance) a Netgear this was not a problem..
    Never e-tech again !

    --
    Regards,
    Georges

  6. Re: e-Tech modem router with 4 port swtch V2

    From: "Geo55"

    | Sorry to inform you that there *exist* a utility to flash this
    | router-modem via the USB port. Only is it so that e-Tech no longer
    | want to distribute it. That's the reason I asked for it here.
    |
    | Sending back the router to the manufacturer is not an option (to
    | expensive and for the price I can buy a new one). Also I'll *never*
    | buy again some stuff from E-Tech..
    |
    | If it was (for instance) a Netgear this was not a problem..
    | Never e-tech again !

    Let us assume there was a USB based utility. If the FirmWare upgrade failed in progrees
    then the binary image on the BIOS chip is corrupted and the chances are the router would no
    longer be able to handle any kind of FirmWare upgrade.

    Yes, replacing it would be cheaper then fixing it.

    --
    Dave