Wan port ?? - Routers

This is a discussion on Wan port ?? - Routers ; I'm confused when to use a wan port on a router. I have a small network. One router is set up as DHCP. It gives out IP addresses. (I think this is what you would call our gateway.) We have ...

  1. Wan port ??

    I'm confused when to use a wan port on a router.

    I have a small network.

    One router is set up as DHCP. It gives out IP addresses. (I think this
    is what you would call our gateway.)
    We have a windows 2003 server to do authentication of users and DNS.

    I have several routers and switches around the buildings. Some
    wireless.

    I'm asuming that all the routers (accept for the one coming in from
    the outside world) should be connected to the standard ports, And that
    the wan port should be left with nothing plugged into it if it is
    inside the network. Basically Im just using the routers to continue
    the network into multiple devces, printers computer.

    Is that right ??

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Wan port ??

    From: "steve"

    | I'm confused when to use a wan port on a router.
    |
    | I have a small network.
    |
    | One router is set up as DHCP. It gives out IP addresses. (I think this
    | is what you would call our gateway.)
    | We have a windows 2003 server to do authentication of users and DNS.
    |
    | I have several routers and switches around the buildings. Some
    | wireless.
    |
    | I'm asuming that all the routers (accept for the one coming in from
    | the outside world) should be connected to the standard ports, And that
    | the wan port should be left with nothing plugged into it if it is
    | inside the network. Basically Im just using the routers to continue
    | the network into multiple devces, printers computer.
    |
    | Is that right ??
    |
    | Thanks.

    WAN ports connect to the Internet.

    LAN ports connect to all LAN side computers, print servers, game platforms, etc.

    If you have Ethernet Switches/Hubs there is no need to use a Router.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: Wan port ??

    > If you have Ethernet Switches/Hubs there is no need to use a Router.
    >
    > --
    > Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    Thanks.

    However (I know Im going to say this and people are going to say sure
    there are BUT) One of the reasons we use several routers is because
    we have wifi, I dont suppose there are wireless switches, or at least
    I dont recall seeing them. ?

    So then we put in a few Wireless routers and then connect some
    Physical computers and even another wireless router to that wireless
    router ports. (not wan) If thats right.

    Regards

  4. Re: Wan port ??

    From: "steve"

    | Thanks.
    |
    | However (I know Im going to say this and people are going to say sure
    | there are BUT) One of the reasons we use several routers is because
    | we have wifi, I dont suppose there are wireless switches, or at least
    | I dont recall seeing them. ?
    |
    | So then we put in a few Wireless routers and then connect some
    | Physical computers and even another wireless router to that wireless
    | router ports. (not wan) If thats right.
    |
    | Regards

    No. Use a WireLess Access Point connected to a LAN port or use one Router with both LAN
    ports and WireLess capabilities.

    --
    Dave

  5. Re: Wan port ??

    > No. *Use a WireLess Access Point connected to a LAN port or use one Router with both LAN
    > ports and WireLess capabilities.

    So the wireless access point is just basiclly an interface to the
    network with wep or whatever etc security. Yes thats a good Idea. Do
    they do the switching?

    regards

  6. Re: Wan port ??

    I think your core confusion is that you are not recognizing that this is
    a multi function device.

    What you possess are routers with integrated switches. Normally these
    would be separate devices with separate functions.

    You are using the integrated switch (LAN ports) to extend your switched
    network.

    If you need routing functionality, you use a LAN port connected to one
    network, and the WAN port connected to a different network.

    The two networks use different IP address space.

    When a host needs to connect to a resource on another system, it applies
    the network mask to it's own IP address, and the IP address of the
    destination resource, and then compares the results to determine whether
    the destination resource is on the local LAN, or another LAN.

    If the resource is on the local LAN, a router is not needed. The packets
    are framed with the MAC address of the destination resource and placed
    on the wire.

    If the resource is on another LAN, the host needs the assistance of a
    router. The packet is forwarded to the router, the router then uses its
    knowledge of adjacent routers to determine the next hop. One router
    passes data to the next, and so on, and so on, until it reaches a router
    directly connected to the LAN where the destination host resides.

    Your host would frame the packet with the MAC address of the router's
    LAN interface. When that router places the packet onto the WAN, it is
    framed with the MAC address of the next hop router.

    Forgetting about issues such as NAT for a moment, the source and
    destination IP addresses in the IP header remain the same as the packet
    traverses the Internet. However, the source and destination MAC
    addresses with which the packet is framed are constantly changing hop by
    hop.

    Two devices on the same segment use the Address Resolution Protocol
    (ARP) to resolve an IP address into the MAC address needed to forward
    the traffic. Communication occurs at Layer 2 (MAC). IP addresses are
    logical, they really exist to facilitate getting from one network to
    another.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

    steve wrote:
    > I'm confused when to use a wan port on a router.
    >
    > I have a small network.
    >
    > One router is set up as DHCP. It gives out IP addresses. (I think this
    > is what you would call our gateway.)
    > We have a windows 2003 server to do authentication of users and DNS.
    >
    > I have several routers and switches around the buildings. Some
    > wireless.
    >
    > I'm asuming that all the routers (accept for the one coming in from
    > the outside world) should be connected to the standard ports, And that
    > the wan port should be left with nothing plugged into it if it is
    > inside the network. Basically Im just using the routers to continue
    > the network into multiple devces, printers computer.
    >
    > Is that right ??
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread