Wireless Security - Routers

This is a discussion on Wireless Security - Routers ; I have just bought a laptop computer and need to know some of the ground rules involved in conducting safe wireless computing. If a computer network is not secured (i.e., is public as at a Starbuck shop) is encrypted info ...

  1. Wireless Security

    I have just bought a laptop computer and need to know some of the ground rules involved in conducting safe wireless computing.

    If a computer network is not secured (i.e., is public as at a Starbuck shop) is encrypted info sent out from that location to an on-line vendor or for instance, to a bank secure? In other words is only non-encrypted info sent out from public places not safe?

    Thanks JG

  2. Re: Wireless Security

    "JohnG" wrote in message news:cNWdnb25NMnL2wPanZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    I have just bought a laptop computer and need to know some of the ground rules involved in conducting safe wireless computing.

    If a computer network is not secured (i.e., is public as at a Starbuck shop) is encrypted info sent out from that location to an on-line vendor or for instance, to a bank secure? In other words is only non-encrypted info sent out from public places not safe?

    Thanks JG

    Well, that is a broad subject. The short answer is that traffic that is sent via SSL (to a URL that begins with https:// *may* be sufficiently encrypted. I suggest you visit http://grc.com/securitynow and review the titles of Steve and Leo's podcasts and listen to the relevant episodes (or read the transcript notes etc). Lots of good information there.

    HTH

    Kerry

+ Reply to Thread