Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN - Routers

This is a discussion on Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN - Routers ; Hi, here's my situation: * We have a home LAN. We use a Linksys WRT54G for routing and wifi. We run WPA for better security. * Our kids have their own computers. Sometimes their web browsing habits are not the ...

  1. Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    Hi, here's my situation:

    * We have a home LAN. We use a Linksys WRT54G for routing and wifi. We
    run WPA for better security.

    * Our kids have their own computers. Sometimes their web browsing habits
    are not the safest, in spite of the controls we've put in place. We'd
    rather not give them (or any trojans they might download) access to our
    computers, which contain financial data &etc.

    * The kids also have a Wii and DS's that talk wifi. The DS's can only
    use WEP.

    So I'd like to have both WEP and WPA available, and I'd like to isolate
    the kids' computers from ours. I think I can do this is with two
    routers:

    Broadband ----- WEP Router ---- WPA Router --- (grownup computers)

    kid computers, DS's, etc

    (The kid computers are attached to the WEP router, if that isn't clear.)

    So the WPA router should give us NAT protection from the kids' computers.
    If someone was able to hack into the WEP router, they still couldn't
    access the grownup computers. I think the grownup computers should be
    able to access any shares on the kid computers, right?

    Anybody see any problem with this? Can I plug one router into another
    like this, or can you only plug a switch/hub into a router? Will the kid
    computers be able to get at the grownup computers, assuming we don't
    intentionally open any ports? Is there a better way to do this?

    Thanks!
    Gary

  2. Re: Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    "Gary Fritz" wrote in message
    > Hi, here's my situation:
    >
    > * We have a home LAN. We use a Linksys WRT54G for routing and wifi. We
    > run WPA for better security.
    >
    > * Our kids have their own computers. Sometimes their web browsing habits
    > are not the safest, in spite of the controls we've put in place. We'd
    > rather not give them (or any trojans they might download) access to our
    > computers, which contain financial data &etc.
    >
    > * The kids also have a Wii and DS's that talk wifi. The DS's can only
    > use WEP.
    >
    > So I'd like to have both WEP and WPA available, and I'd like to isolate
    > the kids' computers from ours. I think I can do this is with two
    > routers:
    >

    > Broadband ----- WEP Router ---- WPA Router --- (grownup computers)
    > |
    > kid computers, DS's, etc
    >
    > (The kid computers are attached to the WEP router, if that isn't clear.)
    >
    > So the WPA router should give us NAT protection from the kids' computers.
    > If someone was able to hack into the WEP router, they still couldn't
    > access the grownup computers. I think the grownup computers should be
    > able to access any shares on the kid computers, right?
    >
    > Anybody see any problem with this? Can I plug one router into another
    > like this, or can you only plug a switch/hub into a router? Will the kid
    > computers be able to get at the grownup computers, assuming we don't
    > intentionally open any ports? Is there a better way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Gary

    It's what I do when the objectives are the same as yours.
    You can easily test the isolation and connectivity.

    If the objectives are slightly different - you want to add a wireless router
    in the middle of a wired network for example - then you can plug the LAN
    side of the first router into the LAN side of the second router. That means
    you use the second router as only a switch - with no NAT.

    Fred

  3. Re: Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    "Fred Marshall" wrote:
    > It's what I do when the objectives are the same as yours.
    > You can easily test the isolation and connectivity.

    Cool. Thanks, Fred. I was told via email that cascading routers like this
    can cause problems, but he didn't say what kind of problems. He also said
    any decent router should handle both WEP and WPA simultaneously, but this
    one doesn't. And that wouldn't give us the isolation I want.

    So I'll go pick up another WRT54G -- or maybe something used, there's a USR
    MaxG 5461 locally on craigslist for $25 -- set it up for WEP, plug it into
    the broadband connection, and plug our WPA router into one of the ports on
    the WEP router. I assume I should be able to set them up on different
    channels so they don't interfere with each other. (And hopefully they also
    won't interfere with our wireless broadband connection... :-)

    Do I have to be careful about the private subnets I assign on the two
    routers? We currently use 192.168.1.x on the WPA router. Will e.g.
    192.168.10.x work OK on the WEP router, and provide the isolation I want?

    Thanks!
    Gary

  4. Re: Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    I use a Draytek router, it does all of the below in one router. Nice.

    :
[...]

  5. Re: Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    "Cork Soaker" wrote:
    > I use a Draytek router, it does all of the below in one router. Nice.

    It also appears to cost about 3-5 times more than a Linksys. I'm not sure
    we need that level of functionality for our small home office.

  6. Re: Want both WEP and WPA on home LAN

    "Gary Fritz" wrote in message
    : "Cork Soaker" wrote:
    : > I use a Draytek router, it does all of the below in one router. Nice.
    :
    : It also appears to cost about 3-5 times more than a Linksys. I'm not sure
    : we need that level of functionality for our small home office.

    You just said you did.

+ Reply to Thread