Share Network connection - Routers

This is a discussion on Share Network connection - Routers ; Hi there, I'm not brilliant at networking - so I was wondering if anyone could help me with a small problem. I have an Internet connection via an Ethernet/RJ45 port. It has a static IP address and DNS etc. I'd ...

  1. Share Network connection

    Hi there, I'm not brilliant at networking - so I was wondering if anyone
    could help me with a small problem.
    I have an Internet connection via an Ethernet/RJ45 port. It has a static IP
    address and DNS etc.

    I'd like to share this Internet connection with 3 other computers, via a
    wired ethernet RJ45 connection. What kind of router do I need? Can anyone
    recommend a particular type/model?

    I really don't need anything fancy, just a very simple router for
    Ethernet... I just need some specs to look out for, then I should be able to
    sort it out.

    Thanks
    Kris

  2. Re: Share Network connection

    "Kristan" wrote in message
    > Hi there, I'm not brilliant at networking - so I was wondering if anyone
    > could help me with a small problem.
    > I have an Internet connection via an Ethernet/RJ45 port. It has a static
    > IP address and DNS etc.
    >
    > I'd like to share this Internet connection with 3 other computers, via a
    > wired ethernet RJ45 connection. What kind of router do I need? Can
    > anyone recommend a particular type/model?
    >
    > I really don't need anything fancy, just a very simple router for
    > Ethernet... I just need some specs to look out for, then I should be able
    > to sort it out.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kris

    About any commodity router from Linksys WRT54G, D-Link, Netgear, etc. Around
    $60.
    You may as well get on with wireless capability as it costs virtually
    nothing more.

    Then you configure the WAN/Internet port of the router to have the Static IP
    address that you're using now.

    Turn off the wireless on the router if you're not going to use it.

    Then you can configure all the computers to "get an IP address
    automatically" and plug them into the LAN side of the router.

    Fred

  3. Re: Share Network connection

    Hi.. I am agree with linksys WRT54G but these day, you find firmware ver 7
    or 8, useless. Go and find WRT54GL with ver 1.1 and patch it with DD-WRT.
    its awesome, man. Keep IT sharing freedom....

    Ta Anto
    "Fred Marshall" wrote in message
    news:0sudncAQQOKjAh_anZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@centurytel.n et...

    > "Kristan" wrote in message
    >> Hi there, I'm not brilliant at networking - so I was wondering if anyone
    >> could help me with a small problem.
    >> I have an Internet connection via an Ethernet/RJ45 port. It has a static
    >> IP address and DNS etc.
    >>
    >> I'd like to share this Internet connection with 3 other computers, via a
    >> wired ethernet RJ45 connection. What kind of router do I need? Can
    >> anyone recommend a particular type/model?
    >>
    >> I really don't need anything fancy, just a very simple router for
    >> Ethernet... I just need some specs to look out for, then I should be able
    >> to sort it out.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Kris
    >>

    > About any commodity router from Linksys WRT54G, D-Link, Netgear, etc.
    > Around $60.
    > You may as well get on with wireless capability as it costs virtually
    > nothing more.
    >
    > Then you configure the WAN/Internet port of the router to have the Static
    > IP address that you're using now.
    >
    > Turn off the wireless on the router if you're not going to use it.
    >
    > Then you can configure all the computers to "get an IP address
    > automatically" and plug them into the LAN side of the router.
    >
    > Fred

+ Reply to Thread