Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41 - Routers

This is a discussion on Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41 - Routers ; I have a very OLD Linksys BEFSR41 router that I need to upgrade the firmware on. How old is it? The firmware date is 09-Jun-2000. I downloaded the V1.46.02, which according to the wizard at linksys.com, is the correct version. ...

  1. Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    I have a very OLD Linksys BEFSR41 router that I need to upgrade the
    firmware on. How old is it? The firmware date is 09-Jun-2000.

    I downloaded the V1.46.02, which according to the wizard at
    linksys.com, is the correct version.

    I reset the router to factory defaults, connected to it via the web
    interface using IE 7.0 and the default password, clicked on 'Help' and
    then 'Upgrade firmware'.

    I was presented with another page, did the 'Click or press spacebar to
    activate control' thing, re-entered the admin password, and clicked on
    the Upgrade button. The progress bar came up showing 0% complete. 20
    minutes later it was still showing 0% complete. Nothing had happened.

    I've tried repeating the process with the same results.

    Am I doing something wrong? Is there a known problem with updating the
    firmware in this manner? Is there an alternate way to upgrade the
    firmware?

    BTW, I need to do the upgrade because my employer has changed VPN
    software and the new software requires IpSec support. Unfortunately,
    the firmware that came preloaded in the router doesn't have IpSec
    support.

    Thanks,

    Bob

  2. Re: Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    From: "Bob"

    | I have a very OLD Linksys BEFSR41 router that I need to upgrade the
    | firmware on. How old is it? The firmware date is 09-Jun-2000.
    |
    | I downloaded the V1.46.02, which according to the wizard at
    | linksys.com, is the correct version.
    |
    | I reset the router to factory defaults, connected to it via the web
    | interface using IE 7.0 and the default password, clicked on 'Help' and
    | then 'Upgrade firmware'.
    |
    | I was presented with another page, did the 'Click or press spacebar to
    | activate control' thing, re-entered the admin password, and clicked on
    | the Upgrade button. The progress bar came up showing 0% complete. 20
    | minutes later it was still showing 0% complete. Nothing had happened.
    |
    | I've tried repeating the process with the same results.
    |
    | Am I doing something wrong? Is there a known problem with updating the
    | firmware in this manner? Is there an alternate way to upgrade the
    | firmware?
    |
    | BTW, I need to do the upgrade because my employer has changed VPN
    | software and the new software requires IpSec support. Unfortunately,
    | the firmware that came preloaded in the router doesn't have IpSec
    | support.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Bob

    Try the Linksys TFTP Client and push the firmware instead of pulling the firmware.

    --
    Dave

  3. Re: Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    In article <2Fkdj.2856$4m5.198@trnddc02>, DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net
    says...
    > From: "Bob"
    >
    > | I have a very OLD Linksys BEFSR41 router that I need to upgrade the
    > | firmware on. How old is it? The firmware date is 09-Jun-2000.
    > |
    > | I downloaded the V1.46.02, which according to the wizard at
    > | linksys.com, is the correct version.
    > |
    > | I reset the router to factory defaults, connected to it via the web
    > | interface using IE 7.0 and the default password, clicked on 'Help' and
    > | then 'Upgrade firmware'.
    > |
    > | I was presented with another page, did the 'Click or press spacebar to
    > | activate control' thing, re-entered the admin password, and clicked on
    > | the Upgrade button. The progress bar came up showing 0% complete. 20
    > | minutes later it was still showing 0% complete. Nothing had happened.
    > |
    > | I've tried repeating the process with the same results.
    > |
    > | Am I doing something wrong? Is there a known problem with updating the
    > | firmware in this manner? Is there an alternate way to upgrade the
    > | firmware?
    > |
    > | BTW, I need to do the upgrade because my employer has changed VPN
    > | software and the new software requires IpSec support. Unfortunately,
    > | the firmware that came preloaded in the router doesn't have IpSec
    > | support.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Bob
    >
    > Try the Linksys TFTP Client and push the firmware instead of pulling the firmware.

    Thanks for your response.

    From the cmd prompt on XP Pro SP2, I tried:

    c:>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin

    and got this as a response...

    Error on server :

    Is there something special I need to do to the router?

    Bob

  4. Re: Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    From: "Bob"

    | Thanks for your response.
    |
    | From the cmd prompt on XP Pro SP2, I tried:
    |
    | c:>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put code.bin
    |
    | and got this as a response...
    |
    | Error on server :
    |
    | Is there something special I need to do to the router?
    |
    | Bob

    I would suggest a Linksys TFTP client. That is what I *always* used.

    --
    Dave

  5. Re: Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    In article , DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net
    says...

    > I would suggest a Linksys TFTP client. That is what I *always* used.

    Yes, that's what I suspected, but I couldn't find it on the linksys
    site. Silly me, I was supposed to know that the file befsr41v2
    _SetupWiz.exe apparently contains the TFTP client, especially since
    none of the documentation on the web site for version 1 routers mention
    this minor detail.

    I downloaded and ran it figuring it couldn't make things any worse, and
    it displayed the upgrade form that the documentation mentioned. I ran
    it and successfully upgraded to the 1.46.02 firmware. IPSec now works
    and I can VPN in to work! Sure beats a 40 mile round trip drive when I
    get support calls.

    So, to summarize, if you've got a version 1 BEFSR41 router with old
    firmware and want to upgrade the firmware, download the firmware .bin
    file and the befsr41v2_SetupWiz.exe. Rename the .bin file to code.bin,
    run befsr41v_SetupWiz.exe and you should have a successful upgrade.

    Thanks for your help,

    Bob

  6. Re: Updating firmware on OLD Linksys BEFSR41

    From: "Bob"

    | Yes, that's what I suspected, but I couldn't find it on the linksys
    | site. Silly me, I was supposed to know that the file befsr41v2
    | _SetupWiz.exe apparently contains the TFTP client, especially since
    | none of the documentation on the web site for version 1 routers mention
    | this minor detail.
    |
    | I downloaded and ran it figuring it couldn't make things any worse, and
    | it displayed the upgrade form that the documentation mentioned. I ran
    | it and successfully upgraded to the 1.46.02 firmware. IPSec now works
    | and I can VPN in to work! Sure beats a 40 mile round trip drive when I
    | get support calls.
    |
    | So, to summarize, if you've got a version 1 BEFSR41 router with old
    | firmware and want to upgrade the firmware, download the firmware .bin
    | file and the befsr41v2_SetupWiz.exe. Rename the .bin file to code.bin,
    | run befsr41v_SetupWiz.exe and you should have a successful upgrade.
    |
    | Thanks for your help,
    |
    | Bob

    YW

    --