Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup??? - Routers

This is a discussion on Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup??? - Routers ; Hello, thanks in advance for reading this. I feel like a kid being told to look up how to spell a word in the dictionary, which of course I could do if I only knew how to spell it. My ...

  1. Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup???

    Hello, thanks in advance for reading this.

    I feel like a kid being told to look up how to spell a word in the
    dictionary, which of course I could do if I only knew how to spell it.

    My problem:

    I need to have a local machine host a "mirror" version of one of my
    sites for security reasons such that:

    normally, requests made to www.mypage.com would go past the router,
    translated to say 217.xxx.xxx.xxx and then served from that ip.

    What I need to happen is that, when the router gets a request from the
    LAN to www.mypage.com instead of allowing DNS translation and routing
    packets through the WAN, it instead translates and redirects all
    traffic to a LAN machine at say 192.168.255.255

    This has to happen all the time, every time, from every machine on the
    LAN.

    It's a security issue with the network -- they don't want any WAN
    traffic for this, no matter how secure and encrypted.

    Trouble is, I don't even know if this is a common thing or if it is
    even possible. Is there a way I can reference the internal "mirror"
    server using the same URL, or do I have to tell people on the LAN
    that, instead of typing www.mypage.com into their browsers, they
    instead have to type 192.168.255.255???

    If this is common or possible, maybe just letting me know what the
    process is called would help. I could Google it if I knew what in the
    hell it was.

    Thanks again!!

  2. Re: Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup???

    Try googling for "split dns" and read up on that. Essentially, you need to
    run a dns server that resolves your domain name to different IP addresses...
    at least that is what I *think* from your description and my (perhaps) hasty
    reading of it. Good luck! If it is a split dns you require, it may take
    some reading to get your head into the idea... :-)

    At least there will be no shortage of reading material for the holidays...

    HTH

    Kerry Liles

    "Shannon" wrote in message
    > Hello, thanks in advance for reading this.
    >
    > I feel like a kid being told to look up how to spell a word in the
    > dictionary, which of course I could do if I only knew how to spell it.
    >
    > My problem:
    >
    > I need to have a local machine host a "mirror" version of one of my
    > sites for security reasons such that:
    >
    > normally, requests made to www.mypage.com would go past the router,
    > translated to say 217.xxx.xxx.xxx and then served from that ip.
    >
    > What I need to happen is that, when the router gets a request from the
    > LAN to www.mypage.com instead of allowing DNS translation and routing
    > packets through the WAN, it instead translates and redirects all
    > traffic to a LAN machine at say 192.168.255.255
    >
    > This has to happen all the time, every time, from every machine on the
    > LAN.
    >
    > It's a security issue with the network -- they don't want any WAN
    > traffic for this, no matter how secure and encrypted.
    >
    > Trouble is, I don't even know if this is a common thing or if it is
    > even possible. Is there a way I can reference the internal "mirror"
    > server using the same URL, or do I have to tell people on the LAN
    > that, instead of typing www.mypage.com into their browsers, they
    > instead have to type 192.168.255.255???
    >
    > If this is common or possible, maybe just letting me know what the
    > process is called would help. I could Google it if I knew what in the
    > hell it was.
    >
    > Thanks again!!

  3. Re: Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup???

    You could edit the hosts file on the computers to point www.mypage.com to
    192.168.255.255
    Thart would be the easiest way.

    Thanks,
    Bruce

    "Shannon" wrote in message
    > Hello, thanks in advance for reading this.
    >
    > I feel like a kid being told to look up how to spell a word in the
    > dictionary, which of course I could do if I only knew how to spell it.
    >
    > My problem:
    >
    > I need to have a local machine host a "mirror" version of one of my
    > sites for security reasons such that:
    >
    > normally, requests made to www.mypage.com would go past the router,
    > translated to say 217.xxx.xxx.xxx and then served from that ip.
    >
    > What I need to happen is that, when the router gets a request from the
    > LAN to www.mypage.com instead of allowing DNS translation and routing
    > packets through the WAN, it instead translates and redirects all
    > traffic to a LAN machine at say 192.168.255.255
    >
    > This has to happen all the time, every time, from every machine on the
    > LAN.
    >
    > It's a security issue with the network -- they don't want any WAN
    > traffic for this, no matter how secure and encrypted.
    >
    > Trouble is, I don't even know if this is a common thing or if it is
    > even possible. Is there a way I can reference the internal "mirror"
    > server using the same URL, or do I have to tell people on the LAN
    > that, instead of typing www.mypage.com into their browsers, they
    > instead have to type 192.168.255.255???
    >
    > If this is common or possible, maybe just letting me know what the
    > process is called would help. I could Google it if I knew what in the
    > hell it was.
    >
    > Thanks again!!

  4. Re: Redirecting outbound URL requests to LAN address before DNS lookup???

    Are you sure it's routing through the WAN?

    My router picks up it's own IP address, and routes internally = smart.

    :

    --

    www.EverestPoker.org.uk

+ Reply to Thread