a real router - Routers

This is a discussion on a real router - Routers ; What's with all the m15 persecution stuff anyway? Hi, I'm looking for a specific product that doesnt seem to exist. I neet to route traffic between my lan (ethernet), 2 ethernet "wan" connections, and as failover, 5 VPNs over an ...

  1. a real router

    What's with all the m15 persecution stuff anyway?
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a specific product that doesnt seem to exist.
    I neet to route traffic between my lan (ethernet), 2 ethernet "wan"
    connections, and as failover, 5 VPNs over an ethernet connected 3G/
    HSDPA router.
    The 3G router can set up the VPNs itself, so basically, I need the 1
    Lan with 2 "wan"s and 1 failover "wan" - all ethernet - all different
    IP ranges.
    I have a cisco2600 that im not using, and I was hoping to get those
    plugin things at the back to replace our current plugins (currently
    1X4way BRI unit and 1X2way serial unit)
    But none of my suppliers are able to help, either they don't know the
    range well enough, or it just can't be done.
    the whole "failover" idea I'm guessing can be set simply with a
    gateway "metric"?
    Anyway...
    Thanks
    Steven

  2. Re: a real router

    Steven Hook wrote:
    > What's with all the m15 persecution stuff anyway?
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a specific product that doesnt seem to exist.
    > I neet to route traffic between my lan (ethernet), 2 ethernet "wan"
    > connections, and as failover, 5 VPNs over an ethernet connected 3G/
    > HSDPA router.
    > The 3G router can set up the VPNs itself, so basically, I need the 1
    > Lan with 2 "wan"s and 1 failover "wan" - all ethernet - all different
    > IP ranges.
    > I have a cisco2600 that im not using, and I was hoping to get those
    > plugin things at the back to replace our current plugins (currently
    > 1X4way BRI unit and 1X2way serial unit)
    > But none of my suppliers are able to help, either they don't know the
    > range well enough, or it just can't be done.
    > the whole "failover" idea I'm guessing can be set simply with a
    > gateway "metric"?
    > Anyway...
    > Thanks
    > Steven

    Steven:

    You might want to look into the "Freesco" (Free Cisco) software router.

    http://www.freesco.org/index.php?id=d

    It is a special purpose version of LINUX that makes a PC (386 or
    better) act like a router. It's been a while since I played with it
    but it is quite flexiable and can deal with all kinds of hardware
    (NICs, Modems etc) that you can hang on a PC. You can also install
    "Packages" that extend the capabilities. The latest version can deal
    with VPN according to this page:

    http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/...ith_vnc_server

    HTH & GL

    John

    --
    \\\||///
    ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------

    John Dulak - Gnomeway Services - http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6

  3. Re: a real router

    On Nov 20, 1:25 am, John Dulak wrote:
    > Steven Hook wrote:
    > > What's with all the m15 persecution stuff anyway?
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm looking for a specific product that doesnt seem to exist.
    > > I neet to route traffic between my lan (ethernet), 2 ethernet "wan"
    > > connections, and as failover, 5 VPNs over an ethernet connected 3G/
    > > HSDPA router.
    > > The 3G router can set up the VPNs itself, so basically, I need the 1
    > > Lan with 2 "wan"s and 1 failover "wan" - all ethernet - all different
    > > IP ranges.
    > > I have a cisco2600 that im not using, and I was hoping to get those
    > > plugin things at the back to replace our current plugins (currently
    > > 1X4way BRI unit and 1X2way serial unit)
    > > But none of my suppliers are able to help, either they don't know the
    > > range well enough, or it just can't be done.
    > > the whole "failover" idea I'm guessing can be set simply with a
    > > gateway "metric"?
    > > Anyway...
    > > Any help would be very much appreciated.
    > > Thanks
    > > Steven

    > Steven:
    >
    > You might want to look into the "Freesco" (Free Cisco) software router.
    >
    > http://www.freesco.org/index.php?id=d
    >
    > It is a special purpose version of LINUX that makes a PC (386 or
    > better) act like a router. It's been a while since I played with it
    > but it is quite flexiable and can deal with all kinds of hardware
    > (NICs, Modems etc) that you can hang on a PC. You can also install
    > "Packages" that extend the capabilities. The latest version can deal
    > with VPN according to this page:
    >
    > http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/...p_ssh_tunnel_t...
    >
    > HTH & GL
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > \\\||///
    > ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o----------------
    > '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''
    >
    > John Dulak - Gnomeway Services -http://tinyurl.com/2qs6o6- Hide quoted text -

    Looks really good...
    Thanks
    I'm also looking at Draytek - Someone sent me a mail in reply to thi
    post about them.
    Thanks all...
    Steven

+ Reply to Thread