WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs? - Routers

This is a discussion on WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs? - Routers ; I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7, 2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set static IPs ...

  1. WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7,
    2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who
    come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set
    static IPs for a few machines that I own (so I can forward certain
    ports).

    I understand how to forward ports (using the Applications and Gaming
    tab) but with DHCP enabled, if the power ever goes out, or a
    connection gets lost for a while (laptop leaves coverage area and
    stays out beyond DHCP lease time) then the machine may be reassigned a
    new IP address.

    I've used other routers where you can specify machines (by MAC
    address) who get static IPs, while every other machine will get a
    dynamic one issued through DHCP.

    Is this possible with the stock firmware? Are there other firmwares
    out there that I can replace it with that will do this for me?

  2. Re: WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    Check and see if DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) will load on a v8 router. If it
    will than it will do what you want. other wise take the linksys back and buy
    a buffalo.

    Adair

    "Bo" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7,
    > 2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who
    > come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set
    > static IPs for a few machines that I own (so I can forward certain
    > ports).
    >
    > I understand how to forward ports (using the Applications and Gaming
    > tab) but with DHCP enabled, if the power ever goes out, or a
    > connection gets lost for a while (laptop leaves coverage area and
    > stays out beyond DHCP lease time) then the machine may be reassigned a
    > new IP address.
    >
    > I've used other routers where you can specify machines (by MAC
    > address) who get static IPs, while every other machine will get a
    > dynamic one issued through DHCP.
    >
    > Is this possible with the stock firmware? Are there other firmwares
    > out there that I can replace it with that will do this for me?

  3. Re: WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    Thanks. I guess I just couldn't find information about dd-wrt or
    openwrt just by googling "static dhcp". I'll try out these 3rd party
    firmwares and see what works best.

    On Nov 15, 6:39 pm, "Adair Winter" wrote:
    > Check and see if DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) will load on a v8 router. If it
    > will than it will do what you want. other wise take the linksys back and buy
    > a buffalo.
    >
    > Adair
    >
    > "Bo" wrote in message

    > > I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7,
    > > 2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who
    > > come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set
    > > static IPs for a few machines that I own (so I can forward certain
    > > ports).

    > > I understand how to forward ports (using the Applications and Gaming
    > > tab) but with DHCP enabled, if the power ever goes out, or a
    > > connection gets lost for a while (laptop leaves coverage area and
    > > stays out beyond DHCP lease time) then the machine may be reassigned a
    > > new IP address.

    > > I've used other routers where you can specify machines (by MAC
    > > address) who get static IPs, while every other machine will get a
    > > dynamic one issued through DHCP.

    > > Is this possible with the stock firmware? Are there other firmwares
    > > out there that I can replace it with that will do this for me?

  4. Re: WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    Just setup your internal machines with static addresses. Then make sure the
    internal DHCP leases are from a different chunk of that same internal
    subnet. Your forwarded ports go to your internal machines, which will
    always be on the same addresses due to them being setup manually with static
    ones.

    "Bo" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to configure my WRT54G router (firmware v8.00.2, Jun. 7,
    > 2007) with its DHCP server enabled, to allow friends and whatnot who
    > come over to be able to get internet access, but I also want to set
    > static IPs for a few machines that I own (so I can forward certain
    > ports).
    >
    > I understand how to forward ports (using the Applications and Gaming
    > tab) but with DHCP enabled, if the power ever goes out, or a
    > connection gets lost for a while (laptop leaves coverage area and
    > stays out beyond DHCP lease time) then the machine may be reassigned a
    > new IP address.
    >
    > I've used other routers where you can specify machines (by MAC
    > address) who get static IPs, while every other machine will get a
    > dynamic one issued through DHCP.
    >
    > Is this possible with the stock firmware? Are there other firmwares
    > out there that I can replace it with that will do this for me?

  5. Re: WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    I have the WRT54G Router and I have used if for the same things that you
    are trying to do and I had no problems.
    I left my router on dhcp enabled and I have never had any of my
    computers that where setup with static ip addresses to have then go to
    dhcp after the connection got lost or the power went out.
    this what I did to set it up I left dhcp enabled and then I just set up
    my computers for static ip addresses and then you also have to enter in
    the dns server addresses in order for it to work so just call your isp
    for the dns server addresses or if you can find your isp in this link
    then just use those from that site
    http://portforward.com/networking/dns.htm you do not need to do this in
    some linux distros cause I have set up a static ip address on one of my
    linux systems and it automatically found out what the dns was and the
    wired thing was those dns servers for my isp which is comcast where not
    listed at that site.

  6. Re: WRT54G: DHCP plus static local IPs?

    I have the WRT54G Router and I have used if for the same things that you
    are trying to do and I had no problems.
    I left my router on dhcp enabled and I have never had any of my
    computers that where setup with static ip addresses to have then go to
    dhcp after the connection got lost or the power went out.
    this what I did to set it up I left dhcp enabled and then I just set up
    my computers for static ip addresses and then you also have to enter in
    the dns server addresses in order for it to work so just call your isp
    for the dns server addresses or if you can find your isp in this link
    then just use the dns server addresses from that site
    http://portforward.com/networking/dns.htm you do not need to do this in
    some linux distros cause I have set up a static ip address on one of my
    linux systems and it automatically found out what the dns was and the
    wired thing was those dns servers for my isp which is comcast where not
    listed at that site. if you do not know how to set up a static ip
    address on your computer go to this link
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    if you need help setting up forwarding ports then go to this link
    http://www.portforward.com/english/r...RT54Gindex.htm

+ Reply to Thread