Linksys wrt54G - Routers

This is a discussion on Linksys wrt54G - Routers ; Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista HP32 on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop seems not to make connection to the router. I have tried some things (like est. manual ...

  1. Linksys wrt54G

    Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista HP32 on
    my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop seems not
    to make connection to the router. I have tried some things (like est. manual
    connection etc), but without any success.

    Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

  2. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Cursorbewoner wrote:
    > Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista
    > HP32 on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop
    > seems not to make connection to the router. I have tried some things
    > (like est. manual connection etc), but without any success.
    >
    > Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

    "Upgrade" to Windows XP. That should solve your problems.

  3. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    "Cal Vanize" schreef in bericht
    > Cursorbewoner wrote:
    >> Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista HP32
    >> on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop seems
    >> not to make connection to the router. I have tried some things (like est.
    >> manual connection etc), but without any success.
    >>
    >> Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

    > "Upgrade" to Windows XP. That should solve your problems.

    Thanks, but the shop told me that the router was Vista compatible.... So,
    either they supplied wrong info, or I am wrong somewhere in the install
    process.

  4. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Cursorbewoner wrote:

    > "Cal Vanize" schreef in bericht
    >> Cursorbewoner wrote:
    >>> Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista
    >>> HP32 on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my
    >>> laptop seems not to make connection to the router. I have tried some
    >>> things (like est. manual connection etc), but without any success.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

    >> "Upgrade" to Windows XP. That should solve your problems.
    >>

    > Thanks, but the shop told me that the router was Vista compatible....
    > So, either they supplied wrong info, or I am wrong somewhere in the
    > install process.

    I have the same router model but I have version 5 with updated firmware
    you probably have version 6 so I do not know how much different from
    mine that is from yours.
    well if you have not configure your router through it's web interface
    maybe that might help.
    open up your Browser and put this in the url area 192.168.1.1 then press
    enter if it asks you for username & password then type in admin for
    username and then admin again for password
    the problem might be your mac address so when you get into your
    router's web interface go to MAC Address clone then click on the circle
    right next to Enable then click on clone your PC's MAC address finally
    click save settings.
    if you need help setting up your wireless this helped me out a lot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx
    I would suggestion using WPA encryption for your wireless connection
    cause wep is really easy to crack.
    some other things you can do to secure your router click on
    Administration then in UPnP click on Disable if it is not already
    disable the reason why you would want this disabled is because if you
    where to get an unwanted program on your computer it can use that to
    open ports on your router.
    also make sure that Remote Management and wireless access web is
    disable(this will not disable wireless access to the internet just to
    the web interface so then it can not be edited from wireless), and have
    the access server only have https check marked so then when you access
    this web interface again it will be encrypted just make sure every time
    you enter your router's default gateway remember to enter
    https://192.168.1.1 instead of just 192.168.1.1
    if you really do not want people to access your wireless then you can
    setup a Wireless Mac Filter to do this enable your wireless then press
    windows logo key + r then type cmd press enter next type ipconfig /all
    when the text comes up look for where it says Physical Address and copy
    down the numbers and letters it says then open up your browser then go
    to your router's web interface then click on wireless then wireless mac
    filter make it enabled then click on permit only pcs listed to access
    the wireless network then click on Edit MAC Filter list then add your
    mac address but just make sure you use this : instead of this - for
    example 08:86:30:B6:F5:6D

  5. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Cursorbewoner wrote:
    > Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista
    > HP32 on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop
    > seems not to make connection to the router. I have tried some things
    > (like est. manual connection etc), but without any success.
    >
    > Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

    If you are trying to get your wireless to work go to this link
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...lesssetup.mspx
    I recommend using WPA Encryption because wep is easy to crack.
    also you should password protect your router and disable upnp, remote
    management, and wireless access(this will only keep computers from
    accessing your routers web interface).

    Did your ISP issue you a static or a Dynamic IP address? if they issued
    you a static ip address just enter that same information into your
    router's web interface.

  6. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Problem solved. Linksys Helpdesk (freephone!) spent over 1 h in solving the
    problems I had. Great job, very willing and cooperative!

    Thanks for all of you and your ideas!

    "Cal Vanize" schreef in bericht
    > Cursorbewoner wrote:
    >> Yesterday I bought the Linksys wrt54G (-EU) router. Am running Vista HP32
    >> on my laptop. Installing the software was no problem, but my laptop seems
    >> not to make connection to the router. I have tried some things (like est.
    >> manual connection etc), but without any success.
    >>
    >> Anyone out there with an idea? T.I.A.

    > "Upgrade" to Windows XP. That should solve your problems.

  7. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    "Cursorbewoner" wrote in message
    > Problem solved. Linksys Helpdesk (freephone!) spent over 1 h in solving
    > the problems I had. Great job, very willing and cooperative!
    >
    > Thanks for all of you and your ideas!

    what was the solution?

  8. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Had something to do with the IP and MAC, two thins I know too less about...
    Helpdesk said it wasn't my mistake, they understood the difficulties I
    expierenced, since English is not my language (I'm Dutch).

    "tony h" schreef in bericht

    > "Cursorbewoner" wrote in message
    >> Problem solved. Linksys Helpdesk (freephone!) spent over 1 h in solving
    >> the problems I had. Great job, very willing and cooperative!
    >>
    >> Thanks for all of you and your ideas!

    > what was the solution?

  9. Re: Linksys wrt54G

    Tyler You have explained it in a very nice way...

    keep up the good work mate..
    news:m4edneWA54Y8iKranZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

+ Reply to Thread