Securing Router - Routers

This is a discussion on Securing Router - Routers ; Hi. I recently made a big balls up by announcing to the world that my (apartment block's) router, a Cisco 800 series, was completely unsecured. I have since removed the default users and passwords and changed the admin/enable password. Question ...

  1. Securing Router

    Hi. I recently made a big balls up by announcing to the world that my
    (apartment block's) router, a Cisco 800 series, was completely
    unsecured. I have since removed the default users and passwords and
    changed the admin/enable password.

    Question is what else do I have to do to secure this thing?

    Also, I am concerned that it may have already been compromised. Who
    knows how long it has been unsecure, and my announcement of the fact
    probably didnt help. Is there any way to check if anything malicious
    has been done to it?

    Total noob at this, so details would help.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Securing Router

    nobrow wrote:
    > Hi. I recently made a big balls up by announcing to the world that my
    > (apartment block's) router, a Cisco 800 series, was completely
    > unsecured. I have since removed the default users and passwords and
    > changed the admin/enable password.
    >
    > Question is what else do I have to do to secure this thing?
    >
    > Also, I am concerned that it may have already been compromised. Who
    > knows how long it has been unsecure, and my announcement of the fact
    > probably didnt help. Is there any way to check if anything malicious
    > has been done to it?
    >
    > Total noob at this, so details would help.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Go into Cisco Router Web Setup (CRWS), select Advanced Feature
    Configuration and make sure you have the router firewall enabled. Its
    just a radio button that you need to select. Since its only for home, I
    wouldn't worry about enabling logging.

    You also need to make sure Remote Management is disabled by selecting
    "Deny Remote Management" on the Remote Management set-up page in
    Advanced Feature Configuration. Its another radio button. Just make
    sure to deny remote management.

    You can check whether the firewall is configured on the CRWS Home page
    but you can't manage it from there. You cannot check the status of
    Remote Management from the CRWS Home page.

    That's pretty much what I'm running for security on my 831.

    The default on some 800 series routers is to disable the firewall and
    allow remote management.

    After that, go to Gibson Research http://www.grc.com/default.htm and run
    ShieldsUp on your computer system to make sure you're in full stealth.
    The router firewall should block everything.

    Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread