NAT router mapping timeout - Routers

This is a discussion on NAT router mapping timeout - Routers ; Is there any typical value for the timeout until a NAT router breaks the mapping between internal and external ports in a tcp connection? In other words , suppose I have a tcp connection in my NAT router. In a ...

  1. NAT router mapping timeout

    Is there any typical value for the timeout until a NAT router breaks the
    mapping between internal and external ports in a tcp connection?
    In other words , suppose I have a tcp connection in my NAT router. In a
    certain moment its disconnected. Now I want to reconnect from the outside
    world to the same external port.
    Can I do that and within what time limitation(tipical values if possible)?

    Regards

    Gil

  2. Re: NAT router mapping timeout

    Gil wrote:
    > Is there any typical value for the timeout until a NAT router breaks the
    > mapping between internal and external ports in a tcp connection?
    > In other words , suppose I have a tcp connection in my NAT router. In a
    > certain moment its disconnected. Now I want to reconnect from the outside
    > world to the same external port.
    > Can I do that and within what time limitation(tipical values if possible)?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Gil

    Can someone second this but I've never seen a configurable timeout
    period for a nat. If the router does Nat, and u have a pool of ips ,
    dynamically/statically assagined, then the dhcp server would control,
    periods to hold that ip.

  3. Re: NAT router mapping timeout

    Gil, I need to rectify myself, it depends on the router your using.
    Most responses in this group refer to routers for home and small
    office, however there are some routers that allow for this however it
    depends on the type of translation you are referring to, and again the
    router. Cisco's default translation timeout is 86,400 seconds (24
    hours), but you can change that with the command ip nat translation
    timeout, for example.

+ Reply to Thread