who is knocking at my router's door? - Routers

This is a discussion on who is knocking at my router's door? - Routers ; Is there free software that I can install on XP and Vista that will keep a log of who is trying to access my system through the router, and what they attempted to do? - Larry...

  1. who is knocking at my router's door?

    Is there free software that I can install on XP and Vista that will keep
    a log of who is trying to access my system through the router, and what
    they attempted to do?

    - Larry

  2. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    most routers allow you to log system activity, including DOS and login
    attemps with corresponding IP.

    "Larry__Weiss" wrote in message
    > Is there free software that I can install on XP and Vista that will keep
    > a log of who is trying to access my system through the router, and what
    > they attempted to do?
    >
    > - Larry

  3. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    tony h wrote:
    > most routers allow you to log system activity, including DOS and login
    > attemps with corresponding IP.
    >
    > "Larry__Weiss" wrote in message
    >> Is there free software that I can install on XP and Vista that will keep
    >> a log of who is trying to access my system through the router, and what
    >> they attempted to do?

    My router is a Linksys WRT54G. I see some simple logs, but they don't
    tell me much beyond IP and port, Incoming and Outgoing. No timestamps
    or detail.

    - Larry

  4. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:19:59 -0500, Larry__Weiss
    wrote:

    >tony h wrote:
    >> most routers allow you to log system activity, including DOS and login
    >> attemps with corresponding IP.
    >>
    >> "Larry__Weiss" wrote in message
    >>> Is there free software that I can install on XP and Vista that will keep
    >>> a log of who is trying to access my system through the router, and what
    >>> they attempted to do?
    >>>

    >My router is a Linksys WRT54G. I see some simple logs, but they don't
    >tell me much beyond IP and port, Incoming and Outgoing. No timestamps
    >or detail.
    >
    > - Larry

    I used to use a program called 'wallwatcher',
    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    I have not used it in quite awhile but I seem to remember it can be
    set to log everything coming in and going out. I used to see TONS of
    address trying to hack into my pc!

  5. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    f/fgeorge wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:19:59 -0500, Larry__Weiss wrote:
    >>tony h wrote:
    >>> most routers allow you to log system activity, including DOS and login
    >>> attempts with corresponding IP.

    >>My router is a Linksys WRT54G. I see some simple logs, but they don't
    >>tell me much beyond IP and port, Incoming and Outgoing. No timestamps
    >>or detail.

    > I used to use a program called 'wallwatcher',
    > http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/
    >
    > I have not used it in quite awhile but I seem to remember it can be
    > set to log everything coming in and going out. I used to see TONS of
    > address trying to hack into my pc!

    Thanks! I'll see if it is compatible with my router.

    - Larry

  6. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    > f/fgeorge wrote:

    >>>My router is a Linksys WRT54G. I see some simple logs, but they don't
    >>>tell me much beyond IP and port, Incoming and Outgoing. No timestamps or
    >>>detail.

    >> I used to use a program called 'wallwatcher',
    >> http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/
    >>
    >> I have not used it in quite awhile but I seem to remember it can be
    >> set to log everything coming in and going out. I used to see TONS of
    >> address trying to hack into my pc!

    > Thanks! I'll see if it is compatible with my router.

    Normally yes :
    WRT54GP2, RV/WRV-series; WRV200; RVS4000;
    WRT54G (with Sveasoft or HyperWRT Firmware);
    WRT55AG, WTR54GS, WRVS4000N
    You said "My router is a Linksys WRT54G"

  7. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    ray wrote:
    > "Larry__Weiss" wrote in message
    >> f/fgeorge wrote:

    >>> I used to use a program called 'wallwatcher',
    >>> http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/
    >>>
    >>> I have not used it in quite awhile but I seem to remember it can be
    >>> set to log everything coming in and going out. I used to see TONS of
    >>> address trying to hack into my pc!

    >> Thanks! I'll see if it is compatible with my router.
    >>

    > Normally yes :
    > WRT54GP2, RV/WRV-series; WRV200; RVS4000;
    > WRT54G (with Sveasoft or HyperWRT Firmware);
    > WRT55AG, WTR54GS, WRVS4000N
    > You said "My router is a Linksys WRT54G"

    I don't know what firmware my Linksys WRT54G contains. Whatever it is
    was factory installed.

    - Larry

  8. Re: who is knocking at my router's door?

    > ray wrote:
    >> "Larry__Weiss" wrote in message

    >>> Thanks! I'll see if it is compatible with my router.
    >>>

    >> Normally yes :
    >> WRT54GP2, RV/WRV-series; WRV200; RVS4000;
    >> WRT54G (with Sveasoft or HyperWRT Firmware);
    >> WRT55AG, WTR54GS, WRVS4000N
    >> You said "My router is a Linksys WRT54G"
    >>

    > I don't know what firmware my Linksys WRT54G contains. Whatever it is was
    > factory installed.

    You are true .. nobody knows...apologies for not thinking at this issue.

+ Reply to Thread