Connecting 2 routers and internet - Routers

This is a discussion on Connecting 2 routers and internet - Routers ; hello, I have a problem: till now i had one router that 4 computers were connected to him by cables. recently i wanted wireless network at home (for my palm and laptop) so i bought wireless router, but i made ...

  1. Connecting 2 routers and internet

    hello,

    I have a problem:

    till now i had one router that 4 computers were connected to him by
    cables.

    recently i wanted wireless network at home (for my palm and laptop)

    so i bought wireless router, but i made a mistake and bought an adsl
    router, and my internet connection is with a network cable not
    adsl....

    i understood that its possible to take one computer off the old
    router, connect it to the wireless one and
    to connect the wireless router to the old router so i could access
    from it to the internet.

    i tried to do this and failed...

    anyone can help me?

    the models of my routers are:

    The old one: DLINK DI-704P
    The wireless one: DLINK DSL-2640T

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Connecting 2 routers and internet

    wrote in message
    news:1193140659.530974.260260@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    > hello,
    >
    > I have a problem:
    >
    > till now i had one router that 4 computers were connected to him by
    > cables.
    >
    > recently i wanted wireless network at home (for my palm and laptop)
    >
    > so i bought wireless router, but i made a mistake and bought an adsl
    > router, and my internet connection is with a network cable not
    > adsl....
    >
    > i understood that its possible to take one computer off the old
    > router, connect it to the wireless one and
    > to connect the wireless router to the old router so i could access
    > from it to the internet.
    >
    > i tried to do this and failed...
    >
    > anyone can help me?
    >
    > the models of my routers are:
    >
    > The old one: DLINK DI-704P
    > The wireless one: DLINK DSL-2640T
    >
    > Thanks.

    Just an idea .... i hope that you have only *one* router with DHCP active

  3. Re: Connecting 2 routers and internet

    ray wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1193140659.530974.260260@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> I have a problem:
    >>
    >> till now i had one router that 4 computers were connected to him by
    >> cables.
    >>
    >> recently i wanted wireless network at home (for my palm and laptop)
    >>
    >> so i bought wireless router, but i made a mistake and bought an adsl
    >> router, and my internet connection is with a network cable not
    >> adsl....
    >>
    >> i understood that its possible to take one computer off the old
    >> router, connect it to the wireless one and
    >> to connect the wireless router to the old router so i could access
    >> from it to the internet.
    >>
    >> i tried to do this and failed...
    >>
    >> anyone can help me?
    >>
    >> the models of my routers are:
    >>
    >> The old one: DLINK DI-704P
    >> The wireless one: DLINK DSL-2640T
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Just an idea .... i hope that you have only *one* router with DHCP active

    You could have DHCP running quite happily on both routers as I expect
    that these all use PAT to mask the inside networks, or if not define
    scopes that do not overlap.

    Meanwhile, back the to original question:
    Use the original router to connect your broadband connection to. No
    need to change anything.
    Connect the WAN interface, if it lets you..., of your new ADSL wireless
    router into one of the old router's ports. If not, then I think you have
    a problem

    The manual is here, but work have blocked FTP access so I cannot d/l the
    link to really see how it could be strung together.
    ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_mo..._Manual_v1.pdf

+ Reply to Thread