CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me?? - Routers

This is a discussion on CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me?? - Routers ; CAT5/6 cable going FROM modem to router AND from router to computer. I currently have one segment as a 15 foot long CAT5 cable. What is the "Optimal Length of CAT5 Cable"??? Would I benefit from these two CAT5 cables ...

  1. CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    CAT5/6 cable going FROM modem to router AND from router to computer. I
    currently have one segment as a 15 foot long CAT5 cable.

    What is the "Optimal Length of CAT5 Cable"???

    Would I benefit from these two CAT5 cables being the OPTIMAL LENGTH?

    I need some explanation, please?

    Thank you all.

  2. Re: CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    The answer is the shortest cable possible.

    Cat 6 allows a max of 295 feet as defined by TIA/EIA-568-B.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B

  3. Re: CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:07:45 +0200, zii kell
    sayd the following:

    >The answer is the shortest cable possible.

    So one that is 3 feet and the other is 15 feet are ok for broadband
    and router?

  4. Re: CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    Crackles McFarly wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:07:45 +0200, zii kell
    > sayd the following:
    >
    >> The answer is the shortest cable possible.

    > So one that is 3 feet and the other is 15 feet are ok for broadband
    > and router?

    Yes. I run 1 foot from my ADSL modem to a 4-port router and 10 metres
    from the 4-port router to the computer(s).

  5. Re: CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    CAT5/6 can be ran 100meters max.

    Don't worry about your 15 or 3 feet, makes no difference at all.

    "Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
    > CAT5/6 cable going FROM modem to router AND from router to computer. I
    > currently have one segment as a 15 foot long CAT5 cable.
    >
    > What is the "Optimal Length of CAT5 Cable"???
    >
    > Would I benefit from these two CAT5 cables being the OPTIMAL LENGTH?
    >
    > I need some explanation, please?
    >

    > Thank you all.

  6. Re: CAT5/6 Questions, Need best examples please help me??

    zii kell wrote:
    > Crackles McFarly wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:07:45 +0200, zii kell
    >> sayd the following:
    >>

    >>>The answer is the shortest cable possible.

    >>So one that is 3 feet and the other is 15 feet are ok for broadband
    >>and router?
    >>

    > Yes. I run 1 foot from my ADSL modem to a 4-port router and 10 metres
    > from the 4-port router to the computer(s).

    The cable you choose to use is based upon the quality/speed of your
    throughput in the cable. A segment of cat 5 cable used in a 10basetx
    configuration can be up to 100 meters long. A maximum of 3 cable
    segments can be connected. For example. From you PC to the hub/switch
    = 1 segment. hub/switch to router = 2 segments. So you're safe.
    Having a very short cable, say 2 or 5 feet won't make any difference at
    all, is you are putting 10 or 100 speed through it. If you have other
    plans, however, it won't be the length of the cable but rather the
    number of twists and quality of the wire inside the cable that will
    determine its throughput.

+ Reply to Thread