Verizon Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680W300N setup - Routers

This is a discussion on Verizon Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680W300N setup - Routers ; I just bought an AirLink wireless modem and am trying to connect it to my Westell 6100. I've spent a week or so so far. Verizon chat/e-mail/tutorials have not been helpful. Anyone know what Westell settings need to be changed ...

  1. Verizon Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680W300N setup

    I just bought an AirLink wireless modem and am trying to connect it to my
    Westell 6100. I've spent a week or so so far. Verizon chat/e-mail/tutorials
    have not been helpful. Anyone know what Westell settings need to be changed
    (or any other advice)?

    The Westell is setup with an Ethernet rather than a USB connection.

    thanks
    art

  2. Re: Verizon Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680W300N setup

    skidmarks wrote:

    > I just bought an AirLink wireless modem and am trying to connect it to my
    > Westell 6100. I've spent a week or so so far. Verizon chat/e-mail/tutorials
    > have not been helpful. Anyone know what Westell settings need to be changed
    > (or any other advice)?
    >
    > The Westell is setup with an Ethernet rather than a USB connection.
    >
    > thanks
    > art

    First call you ISP and tell them to configure your modem into bridge
    mode. What this does, is it turns off the ability to route. Therefore,
    it would make sense that you have to plug a router into your modem now,
    so it can route in place of your modem. You will want to ask your ISP
    the following questions:
    - What is my IP address.
    - What is my mask or subnet mask (same thing)
    - What is my gateway address. (this may be the same address as your
    IP or it may be different)

    Then, connect up your router and plug your PC directly into it.
    Check your PC's tcp/ip configuration to ensure that you PC is using
    DHCP. This means that you PC will ask the router to assign it an IP
    address. The using your router manual or a software disk that comes
    with your router, run the set up and configure your router to use the IP
    , mask, and gateway that your ISP provided to you. That is all there is
    to it. Of course, you will want to go back and set up some security
    options on your wireless connection. Then turn on your laptop and try
    to connet.

    DarthOdor

  3. Re: Verizon Westell 6100 & AirLink AR680W300N setup

    On Oct 14, 3:48 pm, "skidmarks" wrote:
    > I just bought an AirLink wirelessmodemand am trying to connect it to my
    > Westell 6100. I've spent a week or so so far. Verizon chat/e-mail/tutorials
    > have not been helpful. Anyone know what Westell settings need to be changed
    > (or any other advice)?
    >
    > The Westell is setup with an Ethernet rather than a USB connection.

    Most telecom instructions for DSL setup say 'do this or that' and
    just plain avoid saying what or why is ongoing. Many who are
    knowledgeable of the technology are still completely confused by the
    telco's documents. Telco will starve us of facts as if everyone is
    too dumb to understand and should instead always call technical
    support.

    First establish whether your Westel is in bridge mode or router
    mode. In router mode, your Westel's server has an IP address accessed
    from ethernet port and another IP address viewed from its DSL
    connection. If in bridge mode, then something on the Westel ethernet
    port (ie modem inside the Airlink router) would have that DSL address
    and Westel server in that bridge would not be accessible from
    computer's ethernet port.

    Whereas putting the Westel in bridge mode will eliminate latency
    (that is only important in real time applications such as chat, VOIP,
    or gaming), that bridge mode makes diagnostic analysis slightly more
    complex and mostly from indicator lamps. Again, the telco so starves
    us of information that assistance from the telco is often necessary to
    change to bridge mode.

    Long before converting a Westel to bridge mode, first get the
    current (default) configuration to work with an already working Westel
    and computer.

    Start by collecting facts. What is the address of that Westel modem
    from computer's perspective. Typically it would be 192.168.1.1. IOW
    from Command Prompt, if you enter PING 192.168.1.1 , then a properly
    working Westel at that address will echo that ping. Do this to also
    become familiar with the PING diagnostic. At any time, if you have
    doubt about computer making a connection, then use PING to test access
    to that IP port address.

    Computer would have an IP address assigned by the DHCP server inside
    the Westel. Confirm this by two methods. First method, view Internet
    Protocol (TCP/IP) properties for the computer's Ethernet port by right
    clicking on Local Area Connection icon, and then selecting
    Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) from the list and
    click on the radio button 'Properties'. Either the computer lists its
    (static) IP address 'Use the following IP address', OR its IP
    address is leased from the Westel modem under 'Obtain an IP address
    automatically'.

    Second method is obtained from entering IPCONFIG /ALL (on same
    Command Prompt window that executed PING).

    Finally, view server pages inside using the browser to access URL
    192.168.1.1 - the Westel's IP address.

    Bottom line: data shows the computer connected to Westel modem and
    provides numbers for that connection including mask, IP address,
    hardware (physical) address and other information. Now move on to
    configure the Airlink.

    Airlink's router must get its IP address for a server inside that
    wireless port from Westel's DCHP server. Easier is to change that
    router from maybe a default 192.168.1.1 address anything else such as
    192.168.1.3 . Obviously the Westel already has the 192.168.1.1
    assigned. A server inside the Airlink router should use another
    address such as 192.168.1.3 .

    Setup the Airlink router by first connecting it to the computer with
    no Westel connection. Computer can now access server inside Airlink
    probably by entering 192.168.1.1 in browser - see Airlink
    documentation for further information or URL address. Setup pages
    will appear. The Airlink default (or server) address must be changed
    to anything but 192.168.1.1 and the Airlink's DHCP server must be
    disabled.

    Anything that would get an IP address automatically should get it
    from the Westel's DHCP server. Best is to have only one DHCP server
    (Westel's or Airlink's) enabled. That DHCP server would also list the
    range of 192.168.1.x addresses that can be leased.

    Once the Airlink server has an address other than 192.168.1.1, then
    the Airlink is ready to connect to the Westel, and computer connects
    to Westel via Airlink ethernet ports. Make those cable changes now.

    Once connections are established and confirmed using PING, and
    servers at 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.3 can be accessed, then use
    setup page for Airlink's Wireless port to setup that connection.

    Notice stepping through the problem. First confirm if and how
    computer connects through Westel. Then setup the Airlink router (and
    modify its address to something unique from Westel) using computer.
    Then cable computer to Westel via Airlink ethernet ports. Verify (ie
    using PING) so that computer can connect to Westel through Airlink.
    Finally setup the Airlink's Wireless port. Stepping through the setup
    in a sequential manner is how to break a setup process into parts,
    then confirm each part works properly (using PING and the browser)
    before trying to setup the next part.

    BTW, you do like a challenge?

+ Reply to Thread