ftp-networkdrive behind a router - Routers

This is a discussion on ftp-networkdrive behind a router - Routers ; Hi: Thanks for reading. My friend bought a networkdrive that he needs to access from outside his lan. The drive has an ftp server build in. He can set it up so that he can use the drive from within ...

  1. ftp-networkdrive behind a router

    Hi:

    Thanks for reading.

    My friend bought a networkdrive that he needs to access from outside his
    lan.
    The drive has an ftp server build in.

    He can set it up so that he can use the drive from within his lan, but
    accessing from the outside wold doesnt work out.

    What am I doing wrong (or forgetting) if I do these things

    1 redirect the ftp port 21 in the router to the local ip number of the
    network drive
    2 exit all firewala (just for testing ;-)
    3 try to access the ftp server from outside the lan using IE7 and the
    Where the ip adress is of course the ipadress privided by the provider.

    The error message is the standard IE7 message the the webpage cannot be
    found

    Thanks for any help

    Gerard

  2. Re: ftp-networkdrive behind a router

    "G. Verhoef" wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > Thanks for reading.
    >
    > My friend bought a networkdrive that he needs to access from outside his
    > lan.
    > The drive has an ftp server build in.
    >
    > He can set it up so that he can use the drive from within his lan, but
    > accessing from the outside wold doesnt work out.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong (or forgetting) if I do these things
    >
    > 1 redirect the ftp port 21 in the router to the local ip number of the
    > network drive
    > 2 exit all firewala (just for testing ;-)
    > 3 try to access the ftp server from outside the lan using IE7 and the URL:
    > ftp://ipaddress or ftp://ipaddress:21
    > Where the ip adress is of course the ipadress privided by the provider.
    >
    > The error message is the standard IE7 message the the webpage cannot be
    > found

    Perhaps your ISP did not permit you to use an ftp server ...(the port is
    closed in that way)

  3. Re: ftp-networkdrive behind a router

    ray wrote:

    > Perhaps your ISP did not permit you to use an ftp server ...(the port is
    > closed in that way)

    Thank!

    I'm gonna check that whe my friend's back again from his trip.
    Gerard.

  4. Re: ftp-networkdrive behind a router

    "G. Verhoef" wrote in message
    > ray wrote:
    >>

    >> Perhaps your ISP did not permit you to use an ftp server ...(the port is
    >> closed in that way)

    > Thank!
    >
    > I'm gonna check that whe my friend's back again from his trip.
    > Gerard.

    Tell us your finding.....

  5. Re: ftp-networkdrive behind a router

    G. Verhoef wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Thanks for reading.
    >
    > My friend bought a networkdrive that he needs to access from outside his
    > lan.
    > The drive has an ftp server build in.
    >
    > He can set it up so that he can use the drive from within his lan, but
    > accessing from the outside wold doesnt work out.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong (or forgetting) if I do these things
    >
    > 1 redirect the ftp port 21 in the router to the local ip number of the
    > network drive
    > 2 exit all firewala (just for testing ;-)
    > 3 try to access the ftp server from outside the lan using IE7 and the
    > Where the ip adress is of course the ipadress privided by the provider.
    >
    > The error message is the standard IE7 message the the webpage cannot be
    > found
    >

    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Gerard

    What happens when you try to ping the device from inside your network;
    does it reply? A network drive with an FTP server built in would be a
    server in my book! How does the network drive process the incomming
    requests without having a central processing unit? Still, if you can
    ping the ftp server from a PC inside your ethernet but not from outside,
    then you are having issues with the NAT in your router. Or maybe your
    friend is using the wrong kind of internet connection, as the network
    device may require a static external IP in order for it's software to
    install correctly.
    DarthOdor

+ Reply to Thread