Problem using Fedora Live CD - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problem using Fedora Live CD - Redhat ; I have a dual-boot box, Win98/FC 6. Not having a DVD drive, I downloaded and burned the live CD for use in upgrading. It passed the hash check so I burned the CD and tried it. All that happens is ...

  1. Problem using Fedora Live CD

    I have a dual-boot box, Win98/FC 6. Not having a DVD drive, I
    downloaded and burned the live CD for use in upgrading. It passed the
    hash check so I burned the CD and tried it. All that happens is that
    it reports that the boot failed. The Knoppix CD I burned did the same
    thing. However, I'd had no problems booting off the FC 6 CD to
    install on the exact same hardware. Suggestions? If you need more
    data on my configuration, just ask.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > I have a dual-boot box, Win98/FC 6. Not having a DVD drive, I
    > downloaded and burned the live CD for use in upgrading. It passed the
    > hash check so I burned the CD and tried it. All that happens is that
    > it reports that the boot failed. The Knoppix CD I burned did the same
    > thing. However, I'd had no problems booting off the FC 6 CD to
    > install on the exact same hardware. Suggestions? If you need more
    > data on my configuration, just ask.

    The number one reason people report these symptoms is that they burned
    the CD incorrectly. Load the CD under either Windows or Linux. What
    do you see in the top level directory? Do you see a .iso file? If
    so, you need to burn it again as an ISO image, not as a file to be
    placed within a filesystem on the CD.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  3. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    On 03 Oct 2007 17:50:38 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    wrote:

    >The number one reason people report these symptoms is that they burned
    >the CD incorrectly. Load the CD under either Windows or Linux. What
    >do you see in the top level directory? Do you see a .iso file? If
    >so, you need to burn it again as an ISO image, not as a file to be
    >placed within a filesystem on the CD.

    No, of course not. I'd checked that before I tried it. Naturally, I
    burned it in Linux, as I've learned better than to try to make
    bootable CDs from ISO images in Windoze using Nero. If that had
    happened, it simply would have booted off the harrd drive rather than
    trying to boot.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 03 Oct 2007 17:50:38 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The number one reason people report these symptoms is that they burned
    > >the CD incorrectly. Load the CD under either Windows or Linux. What
    > >do you see in the top level directory? Do you see a .iso file? If
    > >so, you need to burn it again as an ISO image, not as a file to be
    > >placed within a filesystem on the CD.

    > No, of course not. I'd checked that before I tried it. Naturally, I
    > burned it in Linux, as I've learned better than to try to make
    > bootable CDs from ISO images in Windoze using Nero. If that had
    > happened, it simply would have booted off the harrd drive rather than
    > trying to boot.

    I hope I didn't insult you. :-) You didn't say how you had burned the
    disc. It's strange that this has happened with two discs. Are you sure
    that they burned correctly? You can always test this with something
    like:

    dd bs=2k if=/dev/cdrom | cmp - image.iso

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  5. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    On 03 Oct 2007 21:06:59 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    wrote:

    >I hope I didn't insult you. :-) You didn't say how you had burned the
    >disc. It's strange that this has happened with two discs.

    In both cases, it gets far enough to start the boot process, then
    fails. We tried the Knoppix one on my sister's box and it did the
    same thing. (Don't remember the error right now, but I gather it's a
    fairly common one for Knoppix.)

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    http://www.lasfs.info http://www.zeff.us
    http://www.lasfs.info http://www.zeff.us

  6. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    wrote:

    > dd bs=2k if=/dev/cdrom | cmp - image.iso

    dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
    305656+0 records in
    305656+0 records out
    625983488 bytes (626 MB) copied, 149.182 seconds, 4.2 MB/s
    cmp: EOF on -

    Note that Win98 says the CD has 698 MB.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 03 Oct 2007 21:06:59 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > > dd bs=2k if=/dev/cdrom | cmp - image.iso

    > dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
    > 305656+0 records in
    > 305656+0 records out
    > 625983488 bytes (626 MB) copied, 149.182 seconds, 4.2 MB/s
    > cmp: EOF on -
    >
    > Note that Win98 says the CD has 698 MB.

    Do a "df" on the disc when it's mounted under Linux and see how many
    1K-blocks are in the filesystem. If it has 305656*2 = 611312, then
    the disc is good. If the filesystem has more blocks, then it didn't
    all fit on your disc. If it's really 698MB, then you need an 80
    minute disc to fit it all on.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  8. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 03 Oct 2007 21:06:59 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > > dd bs=2k if=/dev/cdrom | cmp - image.iso

    > dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
    > 305656+0 records in
    > 305656+0 records out
    > 625983488 bytes (626 MB) copied, 149.182 seconds, 4.2 MB/s
    > cmp: EOF on -

    My last post hasn't reached my server yet, but...

    I just noticed the "cmp" line. Since cmp was complaining that the
    standard input (the output from dd) had an EOF, that means that
    the .iso file did not have an EOF, and therefore the copy on the
    disc is incomplete.

    > Note that Win98 says the CD has 698 MB.

    Not really. The filesystem has 698 MB. They don't all have to be on
    the CD. You can mount the CD successfully, because mounting it just
    involves reading a few key sectors, but if you try accessing beyond
    626MB, you will get an error.

    I think what has happened is that you tried to write a 698MB filesystem
    to a 70 minute disc. You need an 80 minute disc for it all to fit.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  9. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    On 04 Oct 2007 22:08:03 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    wrote:

    >I think what has happened is that you tried to write a 698MB filesystem
    >to a 70 minute disc. You need an 80 minute disc for it all to fit.

    Checking, It is an 80 minute, 700 MB disk.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    If you can't play with words, what good are they?
    http://www.lasfs.info http://www.zeff.us

  10. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 04 Oct 2007 22:08:03 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I think what has happened is that you tried to write a 698MB filesystem
    > >to a 70 minute disc. You need an 80 minute disc for it all to fit.

    > Checking, It is an 80 minute, 700 MB disk.

    Oh, well. I was wrong. But dd is getting an error before reaching the
    end of the data.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  11. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    On 04 Oct 2007 21:52:40 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    wrote:

    >Do a "df" on the disc when it's mounted under Linux and see how many
    >1K-blocks are in the filesystem. If it has 305656*2 = 611312, then
    >the disc is good. If the filesystem has more blocks, then it didn't
    >all fit on your disc. If it's really 698MB, then you need an 80
    >minute disc to fit it all on.

    (I'm only in Linux once or twice a week right now.) However, it came
    out to 715600 1K blocks. (I used df -k to make sure it came out
    right.) That's 698.828125 Meg, so I guess that an 80 minute disc
    isn't quite big enough, once you figure in overhead. Thanx!

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    The only problem with troubleshooting is that
    trouble sometimes shoots back.
    http://www.lasfs.info http://www.zeff.us

  12. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 04 Oct 2007 21:52:40 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Do a "df" on the disc when it's mounted under Linux and see how many
    > >1K-blocks are in the filesystem. If it has 305656*2 = 611312, then
    > >the disc is good. If the filesystem has more blocks, then it didn't
    > >all fit on your disc. If it's really 698MB, then you need an 80
    > >minute disc to fit it all on.

    > (I'm only in Linux once or twice a week right now.) However, it came
    > out to 715600 1K blocks. (I used df -k to make sure it came out
    > right.) That's 698.828125 Meg, so I guess that an 80 minute disc
    > isn't quite big enough, once you figure in overhead. Thanx!

    But the read error happened before you got there. It happened at
    611312 1K blocks.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  13. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    On 11 Oct 2007 20:33:42 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    wrote:

    >But the read error happened before you got there. It happened at
    >611312 1K blocks.

    Bad burn?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  14. Re: Problem using Fedora Live CD

    Joe Zeff writes:

    > On 11 Oct 2007 20:33:42 -0400, Scott Hemphill
    > wrote:
    >
    > >But the read error happened before you got there. It happened at
    > >611312 1K blocks.

    > Bad burn?

    Maybe. Your guess is as good as mine.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

+ Reply to Thread