In my RPM file I need it to run a shell script to begin the installation process, but RPM seems to be putting its output into the input of the shell script which is very bad because the script is a series of prompts that ask the user for different things. Instead of allowing the user to input what he/she wants, the RPM program is putting text into all the prompts and messing everything up. I tried doing an exec on the shell script in the %post section so that once the installation was done it would drop RPM and pick up the shell script, but for some strange reason it not only doesn't drop RPM but it doesn't even seem to be exec'ing the install script. I believe this because once the script gets caught in a loop of getting incorrect answers and then asking for a correct one (like this):

What port #?
-/app/whatever/whatever/whatever
not a port #, please input a port number
-/app/whatever/whatever/whatever
not a port #, please input a port number

and so on for eternity (or until i ctrl-C). When I ctrl-C the shell script my shell is still there and I'm not logged out, which is what leads me to believe it's not even using exec. At first I thought it was doing a fake exec on me, but when I just run an exec on the install script without RPM and then I cancel out the shell dies like it should. How do I get the install script to take over the shell or how do I get RPM to shut up and let the user input values?