Fedora 9 update failure - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 9 update failure - Redhat ; I plan on updating to Core 10 when it comes out. But for now how can I get my Core 9 working again. I have installed core 9 on another HD on the same system, so I can use it ...

  1. Fedora 9 update failure

    I plan on updating to Core 10 when it comes out. But for now how can I
    get my Core 9 working again. I have installed core 9 on another HD on
    the same system, so I can use it for comparison. I don't know where this
    Xmanager system is failing to load. It doesn't even die because of re
    spawning. It just keeps restarting the Xmanager. So now I have a working
    system I can find the difference on and an updated one that I can't.
    Where do I look?

  2. Re: Fedora 9 update failure

    Jesse Benton wrote:
    > I plan on updating to Core 10 when it comes out. But for now how can I
    > get my Core 9 working again. I have installed core 9 on another HD on
    > the same system, so I can use it for comparison. I don't know where this
    > Xmanager system is failing to load. It doesn't even die because of re
    > spawning. It just keeps restarting the Xmanager. So now I have a working
    > system I can find the difference on and an updated one that I can't.
    > Where do I look?

    Bring it down to runlevel 3, rather than runlevel 5, with the 'telinit 3'
    command run as root.

    Then run a direct comparison between the installed list of RPM's, and look in
    /var/log/X* for errors, and look at what happens when you start X with the
    'startx' script.

+ Reply to Thread