NTP problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on NTP problem - Redhat ; I'm using server A (x.x.x.38) as an NTP server. I.e. it has a /etc/ ntp.conf file as follows: """"" restrict default kod nomodify notrap restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap restrict 127.0.0.1 restrict x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap server ntp.inet.tele.dk ...

  1. NTP problem

    I'm using server A (x.x.x.38) as an NTP server. I.e. it has a /etc/
    ntp.conf file as follows:

    """""
    restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap

    restrict 127.0.0.1
    restrict x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap

    server ntp.inet.tele.dk prefer
    server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 6

    driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

    keys /etc/ntp/keys
    """

    Server B is a client to server A. I.e. it should be syncronized with
    the time of Server A. It has a /etc/ntp.conf as follows:
    """"
    restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap

    server x.x.x.38 prefer
    server 127.127.1.1 # LCL, local clock
    fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 12 # increase stratum

    restrict 127.0.0.1
    restrict x.x.x.38

    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    """"

    My problem: it does not work! And when I run ntptrace on Server B, it
    responds only with:
    "localhost.localdomain: stratum 16, offset 0.000000, synch distance
    0.005190"

    Server B is RHEL4 (ntp-4.2.0) and Server A is a Fedora 7 (ntp-4.2.4).
    Both ntpd daemons are running.

    Any suggestions?

    Best regards,
    Kenneth

  2. Re: NTP problem

    Kenneth Brun Nielsen wrote:
    > I'm using server A (x.x.x.38) as an NTP server. I.e. it has a /etc/
    > ntp.conf file as follows:
    >
    > """""
    > restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    > restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap
    >
    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
    >
    > server ntp.inet.tele.dk prefer

    # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for
    backup
    # and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
    # server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
    # fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

    The following should be commented out if you are to sync with an
    external server. It uses the local clock as a "fake" server (see
    above)

    > server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
    > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 6
    >
    > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
    >
    > keys /etc/ntp/keys
    > """
    >
    > Server B is a client to server A. I.e. it should be syncronized with
    > the time of Server A. It has a /etc/ntp.conf as follows:
    > """"
    > restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    > restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap
    >
    > server x.x.x.38 prefer

    # Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for
    backup
    # and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
    # server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
    # fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

    The following should be commented out if you are to sync with an
    external server. It uses the local clock as a "fake" server (see
    above)

    > server 127.127.1.1 # LCL, local clock
    > fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 12 # increase stratum
    >
    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict x.x.x.38
    >
    > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > """"
    >
    > My problem: it does not work! And when I run ntptrace on Server B, it
    > responds only with:
    > "localhost.localdomain: stratum 16, offset 0.000000, synch distance
    > 0.005190"
    >
    > Server B is RHEL4 (ntp-4.2.0) and Server A is a Fedora 7 (ntp-4.2.4).
    > Both ntpd daemons are running.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kenneth

  3. Re: NTP problem

    On Nov 5, 9:53*pm, Steve wrote:

    > The following should be commented out if you are to sync with an
    > external server. It uses the local clock as a "fake" server (see
    > above)
    >

    > > server 127.127.1.1 * * * * * * *# LCL, local clock
    > > fudge *127.127.1.1 stratum 12 * # increase stratum

    I've removed these lines now on both servers (although I just
    understand the lines as a "backup" in the case, when there is no
    connection to the preferred server), and did a "service ntpd restart"
    also on both servers.

    But it still doesn't work. Can the problem be related to the fact,
    that Server A's (the client) clock is VERY bad (it takes about 2 IRL
    seconds to count 1 second)?

    How can I debug this further. I found a log in /var/log/messages, but
    it does not contain any relevant info regarding these problems.

    Best regards,
    Kenneth

  4. Re: NTP problem

    On Nov 5, 10:38*pm, Kenneth Brun Nielsen
    wrote:

    > But it still doesn't work. Can the problem be related to the fact,
    > that Server A's (the client) clock is VERY bad (it takes about 2 IRL
    > seconds to count 1 second)?

    Oops - there is in error in the above. It should be "Server B" instead
    of "Server A". The rest remains, though. Sorry for confusing...

    /Kenneth

  5. Re: NTP problem

    Kenneth Brun Nielsen wrote:
    > I'm using server A (x.x.x.38) as an NTP server. I.e. it has a /etc/
    > ntp.conf file as follows:
    >
    > """""
    > restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    > restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap
    >
    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
    >
    > server ntp.inet.tele.dk prefer
    > server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
    > fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 6
    >
    > driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
    >
    > keys /etc/ntp/keys
    > """
    >
    > Server B is a client to server A. I.e. it should be syncronized with
    > the time of Server A. It has a /etc/ntp.conf as follows:
    > """"
    > restrict default kod nomodify notrap
    > restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap
    >
    > server x.x.x.38 prefer
    > server 127.127.1.1 # LCL, local clock
    > fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 12 # increase stratum
    >
    > restrict 127.0.0.1
    > restrict x.x.x.38
    >
    > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    > """"
    >
    > My problem: it does not work! And when I run ntptrace on Server B, it
    > responds only with:
    > "localhost.localdomain: stratum 16, offset 0.000000, synch distance
    > 0.005190"
    >
    > Server B is RHEL4 (ntp-4.2.0) and Server A is a Fedora 7 (ntp-4.2.4).
    > Both ntpd daemons are running.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kenneth

    Turn off ntpd, to start. Then run 'ntpdate x.x.x.38', to get your date set the
    first time. Then restart ntpd.

    Then see what happens.

    Can you insall and run check_ntp from the Nagios plugins, to see what the
    state of your upstream time servers are?

+ Reply to Thread